Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I wonder how often 'American Gothic', John Malkovich and Larry David come up in a typical conversation about Jamiroquai.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

blueblade455
blueblade455
1 year ago
My wife and I conceived our first child to this song. Seems with just a snap of a finger our kid is now in college. Thank you Jamiroquai! 👍

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
There's something disgusting about bass players. Hard to think of any acceptable ones.

I actually quite like bass geeks. Guitar nerds have this razor thin worldview where basically the only musical reference points worth talking about are worthy canonical blues-rockers (Clapton, Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughan) or occasionally metal shredders. Bass geeks aren't necessarily more tasteful, but they are more or less forced to take an interest in everything from classic soul to pop disco to metal to modern RnB to, er, really tedious jazz-funk. It's quite hard to be a rockist bass geek because rock bass playing is basically pretty boring.

luka

The Jamaicans get away with it. Maybe cos they don't get overexcited.

The quai are headlining Blackheath festival this weekend.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's quite hard to be a rockist bass geek because rock bass playing is basically pretty boring.

That'a a really good point. Chimes with the fact that the rock bassists I really rate (Geezer Butler, John Paul Jones) are strongly influenced by other styles, mainly jazz and funk/soul respectively.

Having said that, there's also the simple-but-catchy school of rock bass, exemplified by Kim Deal.

luka

I mean this is worth talking about actually. Stevie wonder is awful. There's a conspiracy to pretend he's good just cos he's blind which is very patronising.

luka

Innervisions is ok but the other stuff, music in the key of lif, secret life of plants, etc, pure schmaltz. Disgusting.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I mean this is worth talking about actually. Stevie wonder is awful. There's a conspiracy to pretend he's good just cos he's blind which is very patronising.

Bit like how no one is prepared to admit Stephen Hawking knew fuck all about cosmology. It's all a case of positive discrimination that got a bit out of hand.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Q: was the quai the last major pop artiste to sing about climate change? (Michael Jackson did but he's cancelled.)