MIKE / Ade Hakim / Standing On The Corner / Etc.

CrowleyHead

Patty's dodged it another day to talk about the Chris Daddy Dave band again, thus we've had two board members enthuse for them (me and Webs) and two members express resistance and disbelief (Patty & Luka). They are now the:

Quantifiable for it's on topic, I think Odai would agree.

I know I've presented this before and Luka felt it was almost a joke. Sensed the internet on it.

Here's arguably more conventional (?) outings. He also has friends who mine this style alongside him

https://www.youtube.com/embed/uks2-U1pih8

https://www.youtube.com/embed/pwCbFzx5xps

Should point out as well that the Standing on the Corner crew are also a jazz band in addition to their interest in rap so there's something for Patty to bite into

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xXWRLx487R0

Maybe something for Barty to be amused with idk. Oh this crew also has a rich hacky patron

https://www.youtube.com/embed/5vVHPRZ21iE

Odai can handle more while I'm at work I presume/hope if this gets bites.

Leo

is that this standing on the corner? are they an international thing now?

I happened to be in Good Records one day a couple of years ago, which is where he worked, still a teenager I think. he made that album in his bedroom and the store owners helped him press it up that album, they had a stack of them on the counter and were attaching the photos and whatnot on the covers. they had it on the store system and it was so weird and beautiful that a bought it just for the hell of it. and now it's on discogs for over $300.

forclosure

i dont feel theres any similarities between them and Burial the sound is too insular and personal for that but if you mean its east coast rap for people who dont like that kinda thing i dunno i feel like NY rap is in such a weird place at the moment where saying this could apply more to somebody like Dave East than them man shit even Roc Marci who i love

also this came out this year Slauson Malone was in Standing on the corner and i also found out is the son of Wynton Marsailes

CrowleyHead

Leo: Yes

Barty: I'd say the big difference is the sound of garage and of rave isn't nearly as abstracted with Burial as the form of rap in the hands of these kids at their best. Also the nostalgia and retrospection that was heavy on the part of Burial isn't here in the same way, Burial never tried to convey himself with nearly the same sense of nobility. There's a real aesthetic sense of trying to be spiritual and Leaders, whereas Burial obviously couldn't actually bear to be part of the crowds who were celebrating much less lead others.

CrowleyHead

Want to say as well that this isn't necessarily a room for forced positive reaction, if Luke or Patty want to be dismissive I'm for it too, but just give some meat to it.

forclosure

If youre gonna say its bad or you dont get it there has to be a reason for it give it some weight rather than just dismissing it cause you think its made for hypebeats who wear Ecko cause they think itll pop again in the next 5 years this isnt twitter

luka

If youre gonna say its bad or you dont get it there has to be a reason for it give it some weight rather than just dismissing it cause you think its made for hypebeats who wear Ecko cause they think itll pop again in the next 5 years this isnt twitter

I'm gunna say can you explain it so I know what I'm listening for. Frame it, make it meaningful, wrap it up in fairy lights

CrowleyHead

Um, can you explain it to me?

CORPSEY HAS BEEN HITTING HOME RUNS ON THIS BOARD ALL MONTH LIKE A G, MAKING ME HONESTLY ASHAMED FOR THE YEARS OF CYBERBULLYING, YOU CAN DO THIS WITH YOUR BRAIN.

C'mon man, I know this isn't beyond you. I just want you to sit with it a moment and try to grab on it from anywhere you can seize a firm grip and work your way through.

It's just rap songs for the most part! You know the raps! The hey-ho, party people over here, etc. etc.

luka

CORPSEY HAS BEEN HITTING HOME RUNS ON THIS BOARD ALL MONTH LIKE A G, MAKING ME HONESTLY ASHAMED FOR THE YEARS OF CYBERBULLYING, YOU CAN DO THIS WITH YOUR BRAIN.

C'mon man, I know this isn't beyond you. I just want you to sit with it a moment and try to grab on it from anywhere you can seize a firm grip and work your way through.

It's just rap songs for the most part! You know the raps! The hey-ho, party people over here, etc. etc.

I have to sit in the sun and write poetry all day. It drains my resources. Corpsey just drinks instant coffee and sits on a swivel chair

forclosure

I dont consider myself an expert but the thing is its kinda hard to pick individual songs because they have such a specific hazy vibe to em especially mikes stuff cause he does his own beats under DJ Blackpower its choppy but but it uses that choppyness to accent the rhythm of certain songs so its arguably better if you take them as whole albums

forclosure

its very much "young black men trying to figure out their lives as they go from being young men to adults"

yknow Bildungsroman shit

you like those kinda books dont you look i know you seem like a man thats into Hermann Hesse

forclosure

funny thing is ive heard some of MIKEs earlier stuff on his bandcamp like Winter New York and some of longest day,shortest night where the energy is there but its still arguably a little bit too wordy and hasnt quite figured out what kind of sound he wants to go for, hes still very much a Earl Sweatshirt influenced type rapper but he hadnt made the steps to were you could say it was fully him

thats not to say its bad Winter New York captures the coldness but its not like Liquid Swords or Grief Pedigree where the weather feels opressie its drab mundane cold air on the window sort of thing

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
So I gave all the tracks in this thread and that other one a proper listen and I have to say 'you can feel the internet in it' is sharply otm.

But you wanted some meat.

For me this stuff is blog music. An exercise in aesthetics. Can easily fit next to your Greek wave, steam waves, rave wave, vapor wave. Its half arsed. There's no urgency. It sounds too comfortable. It sounds like people uncomfortable with their comfort. I hear yearning. Yearning to be profound. Yearning to be deep. But it's too lethargic convince me of anything. It's a drain on my resources. Too stoned. Too infantilized. Too dematerialized.

It's cowardly. Unwilling to actually stand up and bring the fucking ruckus. And I don't mean be aggressive, I just mean to sound self assured. Even if you're trying to put across existential crisis, do it with conviction, please. It's so lazy and indulgent to grab some grainy, faded sample and then string a few pseudo deep bars over the top. Literally anyone can do that.

This shit is like 3rd rate bigg jus. He did this shit long ago and did it well. 3 albums worth of it including the NMS stuff. It could be emotional and depressing but done with a level of conviction you couldn't help but get on board with. This shit is just weak.

The fact that jus' post co flo work barely got any attention baffles me

P. S. never liked ofwgkta.

Last edited: