I want to fall in love

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Nah, That's Jamal Moss. theo won't play much industrial or even thugged out acid or hard free jazz.

Hahaha, you are a card man. I've seen him play industrial, italo, he was the first person I ever heard play sleezy d and he definitely plays far out jazz. But keeps it groovy. Jamal takes it into his own thing. Clearly from the same place but its unrecognisable if you compare it with Hardy tapes. Theo on the other hand is very much more easily recognisable as a Hardy acolyte. I don't mind agreeing to disagree on this. Hardy wasn't anywhere near playing free jazz. He was about grooves, drugs and energy. Jamal is more Sun Ra territory.

I've seen him do all nighters and I've seen Jamal do all nighters and there's a world of difference imo. Theo is definitely more detroit house, bit more cool and composed,

I was a regular at plastic people. Theos favourite place to play because he could try shit out. Those nights were anything but composed. Jesus christ.

Jamal is just out there bringing the intergallactic gospel to everyone, heard him play weird italian shit that noone knows about into straight disco. the guy is super, super underacknowledged in my book. I love his sloppy redlining mixing as well, makes it feel like you're cramped. it's cyberghetto.

I love Jamal too man. People like him and Traxx are the evolution. They've shed their Hardy skins and carved their own pumpkins. But again, they're more Sun Ra territory.

Ah yeah but Ron Hardy is the first techno dj alongside being a house originator. that's the thing, he broke those detroit cats through. It's not politically correct to say so but that hard core substance-influenced working class club was where May et al's music went down the hardest and first. otherwise they would have probably remained local to the 313. like the electrifying mojo et al was very important for detroit but really not other parts of America, much less Chicago and New York. Hot mix 5 even in its 80s hayday was a much, much bigger phenomenon, people were even trying to get tapes imported to uk.

No arguments here.

luka

Theo Parish is the blandest dj in the world what a weird conversation. Soul is cancelled. We had a whole thread about it. It makes me sick. It's disgusting.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
As for not being welcome, i'm a man of all trades and that's no problem. it's just not my type of crowd. i can certainly go there and dance, but it feels like I stick out like a sore thumb. when i started noticing this in techno as well I decided to knock it on the head. no point listening to much good to average music to see the one act who I'm really looking forward to for 8 hours.

OK I get that. I'm basing my gilles experience on bar rumba which was quite a dark basement where you had a mix of multicultured regulars, old school jazz dancers (mostly black) and tourists. This was a revelation to me coming down from fkn Cumbria. I didn't go to see him much elsewhere. I don't think I'd ever go to the schwanky festivals. Just not my vibe.

yeah, i don't like wiggers and that's also why I can never be a full believer in UKG. in jungle there was all that vip champagne stuff but it was more a classy thing as opposed to the driver.

Not sure anyone likes wiggers. I was just trying to make a point that idk if his crowd is inherently racist.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Theo Parish is the blandest dj in the world what a weird conversation. Soul is cancelled. We had a whole thread about it. It makes me sick. It's disgusting.

Hungover in his hot room, unable to move, the neighbour blasting 'Ocean Drive'

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I love Jamal too man. People like him and Traxx are the evolution. They've shed their Hardy skins and carved their own pumpkins. But again, they're more Sun Ra territory.

fair enough. But I don't think people in UK realise just how taboo jazz was in 1980s America. it was like, we fought for these civil rights and its been co-opted into a gloopy mess. so like hardy couldn't really play jazz even if he wanted to during them times. It's an uncomfortable truth that yer trad jazz people can't recognise, i mean it was you who showed me that interview with mtume and stanley crouch so I'm sure this is all obvious shit to you. What I like about Jamal is he has developed the hard core eclecticism of hardy but also brought it into the 21st C, being aware of contemporary dynamics and the like.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
OK I get that. I'm basing my gilles experience on bar rumba which was quite a dark basement where you had a mix of multicultured regulars, old school jazz dancers (mostly black) and tourists. This was a revelation to me coming down from fkn Cumbria. I didn't go to see him much elsewhere. I don't think I'd ever go to the schwanky festivals. Just not my vibe.

Lol i was a kid in bar rhumba times mate.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket

are you joking that acolade has to go to sasha and digweed.

But in a way this thread is the rehabilitation of the soul in post-soul times. I'm like how we take the good bits of these old people and reintegrate them into our brain bashing euro rave electroacoustic times? how do we rediscover love when belgium has taken a hacksaw to our faces?

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
fair enough. But I don't think people in UK realise just how taboo jazz was in 1980s America. it was like, we fought for these civil rights and its been co-opted into a gloopy mess. so like hardy couldn't really play jazz even if he wanted to during them times. It's an uncomfortable truth that yer trad jazz people can't recognise, i mean it was you who showed me that interview with mtume and stanley crouch so I'm sure this is all obvious shit to you. What I like about Jamal is he has developed the hard core eclecticism of hardy but also brought it into the 21st C, being aware of contemporary dynamics and the like.

Yeah for real. Him n Traxx are at the forefront of Chi town. Visceral shit

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
come on luke justify this i justified aquasky to you the other week. only sociopaths listen to this stuff.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
and it's a bit ironic in this regard that outside of the states Theo Parrish plays almost exclusively to white people - I mean, I've seen the guy dj several times, he has the crates and the knowledge for sure, no question, but at the same time I'm thinking he must subconsciously tailor his sets to white soulboys on some respects - I know he tries to speak out against this but it falls a bit flat. Not saying this to invalidate his work in any shape or form...

I know it's been nearly 5 years but for the record I don't hold this opinion anymore and was being dumb/brit centric (god's greatest oozing puss on earth) I gave a load of Theo sets a relisten over the past few months and he's arguably the most uncompromising of them, he's just on his own trip in a way a lot of other djs aren't. Especially those 6 hour nts marathon mixes he dropped and a few sets I have from him playing in manchester. The guy is def the djs dj connoisseur. I don't think he's really out there to tailor his sets to anyone, white geeks or whatever. It's more the fans who talk too much, but hey that's the case with every artist. Just like detroit pietists will rhapsodise about the belleville three but that doesn't discount that Juan quite simply was the man...

Unfuckwithable.

That being said I'd love to see the crazy shit he (Theo) could do on home turf for like, 12 hours.

Also when I did see him dj, and many others, i was always completely zonked out of my mind, always drunk in some degree or another, that was the era when booze withdrawals were the worst. alcohol dulls musical cognition a lot. I can enjoy anything on mdma, even disco or smooth soul, but whenever I've had a few pints in me i just need the most raging hard techno. Which is ironic as people tend to equate that with speed, which yes is true, but also the depressant qualities of booze can get your blood racing and send you into a fury.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Listen to Ron Hardy sets (sure you already have) and Theo makes perfect sense. He's continuing that lineage. You check any DJ who used to go and see Ron and I can guarantee he was one of their biggest influences as a DJ. He'd play the tracks faster than everyone else, beat them to shit and filter the fuck out of them. Theo is basically one of the closest guys you're gonna get to give you an idea of what it was like to see Ron. He doesn't play for white people. At all.

Yeah, you're right. He is basically quite overtly continuing that tradition (I mean so are traxx and jamal moss, but they are zoning on the leftfield, mutant aspects.) Whereas with Theo you also get the disco and rnb. I guess my frustration again, is not with him or the music he plays (which is almost all unimpeachable) but with white black music fans who kind of cling to this idea that new black music (or post-80s) black music has nothing to offer. That's always been my frustration, i should say, with the detroit myth, but I think the myth comes from outside of the city. Detroit is patriotic and proud of its musical achievements for sure but i was chatting to semtek and he was talking about how people like mgun (manuel gonzalez) etc etc are all over jungle. I think a lot of this is a British idea of sophistication, which can be a bit patronising. It's easy to hate our own music and look to America as always the cultural daddy, but this has arguably retarded things here.

and I mean bartycore was not sophisticated at all. which made it doubly ironic he said UK drill was over by 2018.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
this is a really cool theo set, navigating in all directions, proper djing.

1. [0:00:00] Andreya Triana - Far Closer (Mr. Scruff Remix)
2. [0:03:30] Renee Geyer - Be There In The Morning (1977 Version)
3. [0:07:30] Lil Louis & The World - Funny How U Luv
4. [0:10:20] Fertile Ground - Yellow Daisies
5. [0:13:50] Deyampert - It's You
6. [0:18:20] Dexter Wansel - Life On Mars
7. [0:22:00] Akwaaba - Mudd Groove
8. [0:26:35] Black Renaissance - Black Renaissance
9. [0:32:35] Innerzone Orchestra Feat. Paul Randolph - People Make The World Go Round (Kenny Dixon, Jr. Remix)
10. [0:40:05] Phlash - 1471
11. [0:42:55] Moodymann - Dreams Of Water Over You
12. [0:48:25] Alfredo De La Fe - Hot To Trot
13. [0:52:40] Reuben Wilson - Got To Get Your Own
14. [0:57:35] Lesette Wilson - Caveman Boogie
15. [1:03:55] D'Angelo - Spanish Joint
16. [1:08:50] Theo Parrish - Synthetic Flemm
17. [1:13:30] Louie Vega Feat. Raúl Midón - Cerca De Mi
18. [1:17:55] Master Boogies Song And Dance - When The Shit Hits The Fan (ID Version)
19. [1:22:40] Calender - Comin' On Strong (Jamie 3:26 Basement Edit)
20. [1:29:25] Ron Trent - Seduction
21. [1:32:55] Jackmaster Hater - Hiccup Track (Original It's House)
22. [1:36:45] Peven Everett - Bangin
23. [1:40:50] Erotic Drum Band - Jerky Rhythm
24. [1:44:50] Jean-Luc Ponty - In The Fast Lane
25. [1:48:00] M.T. aka Bayaka - Mi Latino Americana Flor (Dub Mix)
26. [1:52:05] Rick Wilhite Feat. Billy Love - In The Rain
27. [1:57:40] Specter - Pipe Bomb
28. [2:02:25] House Master Baldwin Feat. Paris Grey - Don't Lead Me (Medusa House Mix)
29. [2:04:35] Trilogy - Not Love (Instrumental)
30. [2:08:40] Oscar Sulley - Bukom Mashie
31. [2:13:15] Saturn V - H-Sync
32. [2:18:35] T.O.M. Project - Renaissance
33. [2:23:05] Paul McCartney - Secret Friend
34. [2:29:25] Omar - Feeling You (Henrik Schwarz Remix)
35. [2:33:35] Fingers - A Path (Unreleased Virgo Tracks Version)
36. [2:38:55] Robert Hood - Make A Wish
37. [2:41:20] Africano - Open Your Hearts
38. [2:47:45] War - Gypsy Man (Live PA) (Play this sampleIDClick to favorite Version)
39. [2:55:15] Chicago Skyway - Its Okay
40. [2:59:00] Johnny "D" & Nicky "P" Pres. Loose Pigeons - Breakfast At Tiffany's (Henry St. Mix)
41. [3:03:35] Peven Everett - Easy Livin' (Original Extended Edit)
42. [3:09:10] Leron Carson - China Trax
43. [3:16:20] Chris & Cosey - Gardens Of The Pure
44. [3:19:05] DJ Harvey - Keep On Trying
45. [3:25:55] Love Committee - Pass The Buck (Underdog Edit)
46. [3:34:15] Bob Williams - I'm Alright
47. [3:37:25] Black Ivory - Longer Ride (Underdog Edit)
48. [3:40:05] Eddie Harris - Turbulence
49. [3:44:45] Ol' Dirty Bastard - Brooklyn Zoo
50. [3:48:10] Waajeed & The Bling 47 Group - Tron
51. [3:51:00] Jeru The Damaja - Come Clean
52. [3:54:55] James Brown - People Get Up And Drive Your Funky Soul
53. [4:03:20] The Daktaris - Eltsuhg Ibal Lasiti
54. [4:07:55] Stevie Wonder - Thank You Love (Play this sampleIDClick to favorite Edit)
55. [4:12:15] Willie Hutch - Easy Does It
56. [4:17:20] Pam Todd & Love Exchange - Let's Get Together (Play this sampleIDClick to favorite Edit)
57. [4:25:10] James Brown - Body Heat (Theo Parrish Unreleased Edit)
58. [4:37:40] Oleta Adams - Rhythm Of Life (Heavenly Edit)
59. [4:41:35] [Silence]
60. [4:42:55] Barrington Levy - The Vibes Is Right
61. [4:47:30] [Silence]
62. [4:48:50] Symphonic Four - Who Do You Think You're Fooling
63. [4:52:00] Burning Spear - Swell Headed
64. [4:55:25] Danny Hunt - What's Happening To Our Love Affair

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
this is a really cool theo set, navigating in all directions, proper djing.

Nice, just grabbed a few long nts ones and will get this one as well. He's in his element at 6 or more hours. Its where he belongs. Going to his residency at PP was seriously mind opening. It was the first time I heard the Hardy style and also the first time I took disco seriously. It was always either cheesy or just a bit of fun before that. Like most people, at that time I just didn't know the proper gear. The way he'd beat those tracks in between twisted 80s jackers like Sleezy D and whatever else took his fancy. He'd have me wondering wtf is that over and over but be too busy dancing to bother to try and find out.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Nice, just grabbed a few long nts ones and will get this one as well. He's in his element at 6 or more hours. Its where he belongs. Going to his residency at PP was seriously mind opening. It was the first time I heard the Hardy style and also the first time I took disco seriously. It was always either cheesy or just a bit of fun before that. Like most people, at that time I just didn't know the proper gear. The way he'd beat those tracks in between twisted 80s jackers like Sleezy D and whatever else took his fancy. He'd have me wondering wtf is that over and over but be too busy dancing to bother to try and find out.

Yeah, I think one of the difficulties with a lot of the electronic music culture today is maximum 3 hour sets. that's fine if you're going to play just house-house, just techno-techno-techno, or just dnb, but otherwise it can be really inhibiting. I wish I'd gone to see Theo at Plastic People but unfortunately sorting out trains at that time was always a nightmare. So usually I saw him at more packed Corsica/rhythm factory/cable nights. Which were great, but the music clarity did tend to take a backseat to just partying and getting hammered.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
One good thing about being a resident or djing for 3/4+ hours is you can go up and down, then back up again, then down. Whereas if you've only got 90 mins you're you have three options, neither which are entirely satisfactory.

1) just bang it out from the outset, but you need really good bangers to do that. If you can, this is the best option, but again, that depends on your crates.
2) start out deep/slow and bang it out towards the end. Yeah, not bad, but gets predictable quickly.
3) just be deep for the sake of being deep. This is my least favourite option, it's like people who are hard for the sake of hard. It can often mean emotional inhibition and lack of confidence in the music.

But when you've got more time, you can avoid having to avoid a linear logic.