Landscape and music

droid

Doesnt work at all. Sounds gaudy and crass.

Nature Music

Ambient
Emotronica
Abstract electronic genre stuff (Dub techno, artcore etc)
Dub, some reggae
Mostly instrumental acoustic, including folk, jazz etc.

Anti-nature music

Grime,
Rap,
Dancehall,
Drum n Bass
House
Techno
Most Pop
Rock
Metal
Harcore,
Most Hip Hop
Everything else

blissblogger

The group Caravan sound very English countryside - and although that's partly suggestion from their albums covers and some song titles ("Golf Girl" inevitably makes you picture the undulations of a golf course) it does feel like a property of the music .... rolling hills, green light coming through leaves overhead.... and the weather of England, the soft rains of summer... it seem to be in there, in the milky keyboard sound and the gentle rhythms and those self-effacing, mild vocals....

caravan.jpg

A lot of that Canterbury, Kevin Ayers-y type stuff, has that vibe.... and then Ultramarine picked up on it for their 'pastoral techno' record Every Man Woman Is A Star

Last edited:

version

I really like Caravan, although I have to look past the lame gnome shit and just listen to the music. That long tune (Nine Feet Underground) that closes Land of Grey and Pink is top.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I really like Caravan, although I have to look past the lame gnome shit and just listen to the music. That long tune (Nine Feet Underground) that closes Land of Grey and Pink is top.

Let's break dissensus and make a prog rock thread

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Craner's slewing of a painting I liked today as being "essentially tasteless, overstuffed" had me looking at the area I work in (near Liverpool Street) today in terms of how overstuffed and hopelessly jumbled it is. An ugly morass of high rise office buildings, cranes, billboards, 19th century stonework, etc.

Maybe I'm just rehearsing Eliot again. Heap of broken images.

Does this effect the music we make, the music we hear? The internet is a big jumble, discontinuous - and yet enclosed, programmed, predictable, coercive.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Perfect image of the (should I say?) Palimpsest of mental life today, the old and new jostling for attention.

blissblogger

Perfect image of the (should I say?) Palimpsest of mental life today, the old and new jostling for attention.

this great essay Junkspace by Rem Koolhaas from 2002 is about that, its specific spur is the architectural styles of global nonspaces, airports etc, the jumble of eras - but it's sufficiently abstract and poetic that you could read it as a description of what the internet is like, as you say old and new jostling messily - and most real-world urban spaces as well

forclosure

aint listened to this lot in a long time but the most recent Mekons album is all about and inspired by the desert
theres a track on here thats about Rimbauds time in Etheopia