Landscape and music

woops

is not like other people
How on (middle) earth have I not got a girlfriend?

it's maybe because you have not fully embraced the aragon-like valour, legolas-like gracefulness, bilbo-like good humour, gandalf-like wisdom, whatever the dwarf was called-like singlemindedness that the soundtrack should conjure. there's a disconnect between the inner and the outer. once this is fixed you'll be beset with pleas to share your mastery of this middle earth.

woops

is not like other people
you'll be pestered with so many propositions you'll wish you had a special ring to turn you invisible.

WashYourHands

Cat Malogen
Intriguing thread.

The group Caravan sound very English countryside - and although that's partly suggestion from their albums covers and some song titles ("Golf Girl" inevitably makes you picture the undulations of a golf course) it does feel like a property of the music .... rolling hills, green light coming through leaves overhead.... and the weather of England, the soft rains of summer... it seem to be in there, in the milky keyboard sound and the gentle rhythms and those self-effacing, mild vocals....

View attachment 1127

A lot of that Canterbury, Kevin Ayers-y type stuff, has that vibe.... and then Ultramarine picked up on it for their 'pastoral techno' record Every Man Woman Is A Star

Caravan pretty much define mellow. Kevin Ayers can be a bit more knotty, eg the Dr Dream lp with that Irreversible Neural Damage tune or whatever it’s called.

Most music I listen to gets distilled down while walking in various landscapes. Not for the entirety, then you’re missing out on so much natural sound around you, it’s sublime just to bask in it some days.

Field recordings are a non-tricksy way in, Chris Watson elbow bumps. Phil Legard deserves a mention too. Have to say House was partially discovered by shindigs out under the stars in the middle of nowhere. The deeper kind never felt like an intrusion, or transgression, just as long you tidied up after you’d finished. Free parties like this cemented a desire to explore landscape histories, which looped back round with more experimental music too.

The festival thing has been so perverted, but they’ve an ancient affiliation with landscapes in Britain and Ireland that you don’t have to scratch too far down to find its psychological & material traces.

version

Is lockdown a landscape? Has there been, or will there be, music that could only have come out of the pandemic?

luka

I think that you can consider any inner state as a kind of landscape and this is an unusual distinctive state, mostly comprised of low level persistent anxiety and diffuse menace

version

There was an interesting thread on /r/movies a while back about whether Hollywood would acknowledge COVID in future projects, have people wearing masks as normal etc. I somehow doubt it, unless it's specifically a film about a pandemic, but I'm working from the assumption we go back to 'normal' at some point.

luka

People wearing Masks to avoid infection features in loads of cool future cities in comic books not that I can remember the names of any specific ones

version

Strange to think of a film set in say London with people walking about in masks in the background.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I dunno if this is to do with lockdown or just one of my whims but ive lately been feeling more of a pull towards the 'dark' music that i used to like a lot and that thirdform sometimes advocates for - dubstep, dark/techy dnb, techno etc.

luka

I listened to soliloquy for Lilith this morning. I'm writing a new book which is very dark and shockingly good, almost frightening how good it is. Plus it's almost Halloween

luka

I think that you can consider any inner state as a kind of landscape and this is an unusual distinctive state, mostly comprised of low level persistent anxiety and diffuse menace

Look. Here in this WCW poem I posted earlier today for instance

These

are the desolate, dark weeks
when nature in its barrenness
equals the stupidity of man.

The year plunges into night
and the heart plunges
lower than night

to an empty, windswept place
without sun, stars or moon
but a peculiar light as of thought

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
There was an interesting thread on /r/movies a while back about whether Hollywood would acknowledge COVID in future projects, have people wearing masks as normal etc. I somehow doubt it, unless it's specifically a film about a pandemic, but I'm working from the assumption we go back to 'normal' at some point.

did you see this?

michael bay's corona movie:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Why does some music work so well in hot weather? Is it the tempo? The sonics?

I'm listening to nts and they're playing

And wondering to what extent it sounds perfect for 36 degrees cos you can tell its African (and therefore, in my mental shorthand, hot) and to what extent it's the sound of the music itself.