Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hip Hop/Electro with the "sickest, most insane sonics"

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Makes Christian raves sound like a really good idea, definitely a high conversion rate in the right space
    That has an, um, unfortunate history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_O%27Clock_Service

That electro gospel thing is quite something.

Mid-2000s hoover-rap:

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bassbeyondreason For This Useful Post:

This is just a car indicator, isn't it?

Death of the Autechr
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

if it wasn't obvious, the title is a reference to this thread, so the idea is to think of hip hop--80s in particular--in a similar light. but more generally I wanted to see if I could draw any leads (music or other knowledge) on this era from the collective dissensus encyclopedia.

I think the similarities are in how pop music hooks and musical sources are juxtaposed and combined with "insane sonics" enabled by scratching, distortion, and edits, and also all the rhythm ideas kodwo eshun talks about. if anything this music at its best feels freer that jungle to me, since any element can be as fluid and kinetic as breaks can.

this is particularly the case in mixes, for example:

also Corpsey, in case it wasn't clear my last post was a joke. I brought up autechre obviously, and I always enjoy reading your contributions here and in other threads.
    Last edited by mvuent; 05-07-2019 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Corpse don't want a mvuent apotheosis. He doesn't want to share the spotlight, treading on his toes when he sees him just beneath him on the ladder and closing.
    I meant fingers not toes

alright I can see the page 3 interest slump has set in.

Quote Originally Posted by mvuent View Post
    I think the similarities are in how pop music hooks and musical sources are juxtaposed and combined with "insane sonics" enabled by scratching, distortion, and edits, and also all the rhythm ideas kodwo eshun talks about. if anything this music at its best feels freer that jungle to me, since any element can be as fluid and kinetic as breaks can.
    another great twist you get in this stuff is that sometimes pop vocal hooks are deployed as disorienting bursts of noise rather than to create a contrasting moment of warmth and serenity. can be beautiful in a harsh, futuristic way. definitely feels to me like a post-soul move.

listen to the dive bombing effect at 3:00-3:40

or 1:15-1:30

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Corpse don't want a mvuent apotheosis.
    haha, that's a long ways away still.

There's the hyper-staccato beats an scratches with extreme contrasts of reverb space:

Sometimes I think the "golden age" was just a humanist deviation and must be ruthlessly suppressed.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bassbeyondreason For This Useful Post:

Default at least listen to this

for the first 30 seconds you can hear "owner of a lonely heart"--then it goes through a transformation as """insane""" as anything in electroacoustic. can never believe what I'm hearing.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mvuent For This Useful Post:

This is a great thread idea, I apologise mvuent. Was tired today, being a prick.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    This is a great thread idea, I apologise mvuent. Was tired today, being a prick.
    That's not true mvuent. He is scared of your potential apotheosis. He thinks it's a zero sum game. That your rise means less shine for him.

^ lol

thanks man. I don't think you were being a prick at all!

Quote Originally Posted by bassbeyondreason View Post
    particularly sonically interesting one imo. but yeah as was said earlier the time barrier definitely comes in a lot as far as the rapping.
    Last edited by mvuent; 06-07-2019 at 12:09 AM.

I lik rip the cut a lot but I'm 39 same age as hiphop itself so the electro stuff in particular still has a frisson but I understand why it sounds corny to people in their 20s