Hip Hop/Electro with the "sickest, most insane sonics"

luka

This is a great thread idea, I apologise mvuent. Was tired today, being a prick.

That's not true mvuent. He is scared of your potential apotheosis. He thinks it's a zero sum game. That your rise means less shine for him.

luka

I lik rip the cut a lot but I'm 39 same age as hiphop itself so the electro stuff in particular still has a frisson but I understand why it sounds corny to people in their 20s

DannyL

Wild Horses
I remember listening to a lot of these when they came out. Just Ice, Mantronix, Skinny Boys! - haven't thought about this since taping it off Mike Allen in like 1986 BC. Kinda passed me by at the time, quite how amazing they were. I was like 11 though so I forgive myself.

There's some interesting moments in Rammellzee's back catalogue:

Carried by his charisma arguably. I was looking for a copy of "The Lecture" off the Gettovetts album but I think you've all had a lucky escape - I don't know if it's good as such, just very very weird.

A classic in the cavernous concrete 808 beats selection:

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
This is a seriously great podcast episode for all this sort of stuff btw:

https://player.fm/series/dogpatch/project-blown

I think it's by "celebrity beat digger" Dante Carfanaga. Real great weirdo private press hip hop with completely fucked productions. There's something to be said for people basically having no idea how to use equipment properly. There's another episode about Three 6 Mafia that is also amazing.

Honourable mention for Michael Franti's first band, The Beatnigs? Most industrial than rap for sure but quite an interesting listen and not as wearisomely didactic as his later stuff:

The whole On U sound nexus Mark Stewart/Keith LeBlanc's "Major Malfunction"/Tackhead etc etc is another important division of this sort of sound, and there's direct lineage with rap in that the players (Skip McDonald/Le Blanc/Doug Winbush) were the house band for Sugarhill Records, as well as playing on "The Message" and "White Lines":

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
This still sounds good to me:

Massive at the time, he came over to London quite a bit and IIRC played the first big London jam, UK Fresh.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Perhaps it's also the congruence of the Challenger shuttle samples and 'Rockit'/rocket, I dunno. I do love these 80s breakbeat workouts.

*fallen foul of the 1 vid link per post rule!

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Dan, on the industrial-rap side of things, how do you rate

?

I think it's brilliant. Properly apocalyptic.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
There's some interesting moments in Rammellzee's back catalogue:

This is good, very intense, almost unhinged-sounding. That spidery bassline played on a real bass gives it quite a post-punk sound. I guess there's a considerable post-punk/hip-hop overlap - Malcolm McLaren, Sherwood/Mark Stewart/On-U and all that stuff.

mvuent

Void Dweller
for the first 30 seconds you can hear "owner of a lonely heart"--then it goes through a transformation as """insane""" as anything in electroacoustic. can never believe what I'm hearing.

source in the unlikely event that anyone's interested:

also used (with a few great variations) here starting after 4:20:

Last edited: