Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminator

Watching it reminded me of being a teenager and probably cheering on the terminator as he guns down a whole precinct's worth of cops. An insatiable lust for ultraviolence.

Also reminded me of playing stuff like Grand Theft Auto, loving the cartoony stereotypical gangstas. It's that weird interstice between childhood and adulthood, you still appreciate the vividly drawn caricature but you also want sex and violence.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Sensible lad.
    I had to endure Shazam though, that's the issue here.

I think your lad's just too young.

He hasn't the insatiable urge for ultraviolence yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    I think your lad's just too young.

He hasn't the insatiable urge for ultraviolence yet.
    He certainly has. He's been playing Fortnite & Overwatch and nagging us for Apex Legends all year.
    But on the other hand, he is self-policing when it comes to scary shit. His mum's been chaperoning him while watching Stranger Things lately.

I'm not familiar with Overwatch but Fortnite isn't ultraviolence, it's TOO cartoony.

The real ultraviolence comes with Grand Theft Auto and Doom and the like. Arms torn off. Innocent civilians bleeding to death in the street. The first disbeliving swig of vodka.

Duke Nukem threatening to rip off the final boss's head and shit down his neck - and then, once you've killed him and thus completed the game, proceeding to do exactly that.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I'm not familiar with Overwatch but Fortnite isn't ultraviolence, it's TOO cartoony.

The real ultraviolence comes with Grand Theft Auto and Doom and the like. Arms torn off. Innocent civilians bleeding to death in the street. The first disbeliving swig of vodka.
    Hmg I don't think you should stand for Corpsey insinuating your lad is a fairy.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    It's how you raise a man and not a bedwetter. Steady diet of video nasties from before they're old enough to spell their own name
    As someone who saw driller killer at the age of 8 - no.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    As someone who saw driller killer at the age of 8 - no.
    We showed Michael jacksons thriller video to my mates twin 5 year olds recently and they absolutely shitted their pants. We felt quite guilty. Lifetime trauma.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

He did play GTA for a bit when he was 6. He didnt get very far, just drove about, crashing into sidewalks.
    And call of duty mw3, he loved that.
    There was a 2 or 3 year hiatus shortly after because the Xbox 360 "broke"
    Last edited by HMGovt; 08-07-2019 at 06:07 PM.

We showed Michael jacksons thriller video to my mates twin 5 year olds recently and they absolutely shitted their pants. We felt quite guilty. Lifetime trauma.
    You need some trauma.

T2 is an amazing action movie but isn't it lame how Arnie becomes a cuddly cyborg and also it's got Edward Furlong in it?

Being afraid of Michael Jackson is a pretty good instinctual reaction in small children, to be fair.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

Maybe me and my friends weren't the norm for young blokes, we were nerds so - grand theft auto, postal, drawing guns, guns, guns. Anything that didn't involve real violence, which terrified us and was dispensed by scary boys with undercuts and bomber jackets.

Anyhoo, what might be interesting is considering other horror movies which have changed in resonance over the years. Like terminator is now clearly about gun control and dehumanisation.

I remember well-meaning teachers at primary school banning toy guns. Which was a rather Sisyphean task, given that a bent stick is as good as a replica AR-15 to a small boy.

I'm fairly sure most of us who ran around yelling "UR-UR-UR-UR-UR-UR-UR, I shot you, you're dead!" managed not to grow up into mass shooters, bank robbers etc.