Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Terminator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    I remember well-meaning teachers at primary school banning toy guns. Which was a rather Sisyphean task, given that a bent stick is as good as a replica AR-15 to a small boy.

I'm fairly sure most of us who ran around yelling "UR-UR-UR-UR-UR-UR-UR, I shot you, you're dead!" managed not to grow up into mass shooters, bank robbers etc.
    Still probably not that healthy tho
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Well the good thing in the UK is that generally speaking you can't get your hands on real guns.

Imaginary guns - I'm ambivalent on. As in, I like playing gun-em-ups, mowing down sprites with a submachinegun gives me my only erections, but I recognise that glamorising guns probably isn't cool.
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Especially not to people who's brains are still in development.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Especially not to people who's brains are still in development.
    If only there was a hunting rats by candlelight game, that might prove an excellent preparation for the future.
    Minecraft is pretty close, i suppose.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HMGovt For This Useful Post:

Teach him about hedge funds ffs

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Teach him about hedge funds ffs
    Filthy! i'm trying to maintain some innocence
    he knows about bitcoin though

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Still probably not that healthy tho
    I dunno. I think boys have played at war since time immemorial and except for the few who take it all a bit too seriously, most of them forget all about it around the time they start to get interested in girls and beer and manage to turn into more or less normal, non-psycho adults.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 09-07-2019 at 07:34 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Tea For This Useful Post:

"the few who take it all a bit too seriously" make me think of luka's characterization of vim as "that weird quiet intense boy we all knew at school who spent every break time doing these huge, not very good but incredibly detailed drawings of whole cities being destroyed by tanks and war planes", which has - evidently - stuck with me.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    ... that weird quiet intense boy we all knew at school who spent every break time doing these huge, not very good but incredibly detailed drawings of whole cities being destroyed by tanks and war planes...
    One of my mates still has drawings like this that he did in primary school, he drew this huge battle scene of hundreds of Bart Simpsons killing each other, storming the beaches at Normandy, parachuting in and so on. He also spent months painstakingly crafting a model of a house then filled it with fireworks and blew it to pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    One of my mates still has drawings like this that he did in primary school, he drew this huge battle scene of hundreds of Bart Simpsons killing each other, storming the beaches at Normandy, parachuting in and so on. He also spent months painstakingly crafting a model of a house then filled it with fireworks and blew it to pieces.
    I'd have anticipated two possible futures for someone like this: Turner Prize, or multiple life sentences.

Gotta be honest despite all the horrors of AIs and shootings ive always considered T1 a love story at its core

thats how my mums always looked at it and somebody else on a podcast i listen to said their mother said the same thing

mums love Terminator it seems

15. The Following User Says Thank You to WebEschatology For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Maybe me and my friends weren't the norm for young blokes, we were nerds so - grand theft auto, postal, drawing guns, guns, guns. Anything that didn't involve real violence, which terrified us and was dispensed by scary boys with undercuts and bomber jackets.

Anyhoo, what might be interesting is considering other horror movies which have changed in resonance over the years. Like terminator is now clearly about gun control and dehumanisation.
    finding out that you was into Postal makes sense cause i remember playing the demo for Postal 2 wow is that a game a 2000s artifact

A love story between a nation and its guns you mean

i know this is a late response but mate thats just Robocop or shit from what ive heard for ages about Mr Freedom