Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video game music, OST,Soundchips etc

Version, we must have read the same articles or forums or whatever cos I know that Donkey Kong track without having ever played it (and the Wolverine).

just remembered this first and as far as i know only album from former Nintendo composter Chip Tanaka

https://chiptanaka.bandcamp.com/album/django

Yes it's definitely the shittiness that makes these old ones magical

It's like the Terminator, those shitty old effects which are clearly rubber and remote controls but somehow are much more palpable and scuzzy than CGI.

Soundtracks on games never stuck out for me much in the PS era and afterwards. Like I can't remember any classic themes from Tekken, compared to Street Fighter 2.

you say shittiness (obviously in terms of a descriptive quality) but thats probably coming at it from ears that are used to games out that go out of their way to have these dynamic scores that sound massive,it all comes back to hardware it might sound flat cause i think from say the PS1/Sega Saturn era where the tech started getting really avaliable some of the old arcade stuff especially from the 80s-early 90s sounds proper tinny

but theres alot of fascinating stuff in terms of texture imo Zuntata were wizards when it came to stuff like you can hear some of the melodies that man like Jammer or Davinchie would use later or sound like early Tangerine Dream

i played that Wolverine game once by the way it stinks awful

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WebEschatology For This Useful Post:

There's something really stressful and claustrophobic about certain video game soundtracks, particularly the 8-bit ones. I think it's partly to do with what Corpsey says about them sounding very flat. It's like being trapped on an accelerating conveyor belt.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Soundtracks on games never stuck out for me much in the PS era and afterwards. Like I can't remember any classic themes from Tekken, compared to Street Fighter 2.
    seriously? not Vib Ribbon, Wipeout, Einhander, Silent Hill,Phoenix Wright,Guilty Gear anything??????

mate i think you would love the Street fighter 3 3rd Strike soundtrack one of the tunes from it is on my list if theres anything that would be my contribution to the "dissensus canon" it would be that

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Stewart Copeland doing the Spyro soundtrack still strikes me as odd, but I'm into it.
    Michael Nyman did the music for Enemy Zero made by the late eccentric dev Kenji Eno

Kenji Eno ruled when Mario 64 came out and everybody was saying it was amazing he told Miyamoto the game was shit to his face lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WebEschatology For This Useful Post:

heres a podcast that i like that goes in depth on some of this stuff might post one or two others here aswell

https://pixelatedaudio.com/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to WebEschatology For This Useful Post:

This one's burned into memory, played that game for hours and hours and hours.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

im a big fan of the Doom 64 OST that Aubery Hodges did

part of the appeal of the original DOOM games is that alot of the really kitschy shit in the game that should make it dated are the most enduring parts of it the soundtrack is filled of all these midi repurposes and rip offs of old Metallica and Pantera riffs

and then you got this which for the time was the darkest game in the series (some people even now say its the game DOOM 3 shouldve been) and its got all this foreboding dark ambient music youd expect to hear on a Lustmord album

there's a lot of really interesting stuff getting posted itt

one of the few things that makes me optimistic about the future of music (at least ambient, etc.) is how much kids seem to love the minecraft soundtrack. though I haven't heard anything that has the same sort of magic yet

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mvuent For This Useful Post:

two recent tings that come to mind

i got some issues with Cuphead as a game but the music woiii

probably the most recent thing here from Bloodstained:ritual of the night,Michiru Yamane still killing it

btw Corpse what often doesnt get mentioned but is glaringly obvious is how new jack swing was a big influence on alot of the stuff coming out of the early 90s

20. The Following User Says Thank You to WebEschatology For This Useful Post:

Bit earlier but when I was a kid I used to love the Speedball 2 music - what year was that? Only a few years ago I found out it was John Foxx

Quote Originally Posted by WebEschatology View Post
    seriously? not Vib Ribbon, Wipeout, Einhander, Silent Hill,Phoenix Wright,Guilty Gear anything??????
    I'll hold my hands up and plead ignorance here cos PS1 was the last time I was really consistently interested in games.

The only memorable soundtracks for me are from the Tony Hawk's series and those obviously aren't proper video game music.

I thought using the word *shitty* might be seen as an insult I don't really mean it to be though. It's the cheapness, the tinnyness that I LIKE about that music and what makes that music unique. It might not be deliberately artificial (limitations of budget and tech) but that artificial quality is what makes it exciting.