Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Those wot were there, set the historical record straight

I guess this is why it all split into separate strands so fast isn't it (if it ever wasn't in seperate strands) - one man's meat/one man's poison and all that.

I'm very interested in that thing of tunes that were big at the time but have disappeared from the canon...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

well a lot of it is pure economy isn't it. people like hype and randall were playing a lot of US and belgian stuff into early 92. then when they had their own music they obviously had to commit to that. you won't find any american or Belgian tunes in a 93 randall set. this is the danger with the patriotism going too far looking back historically. but then again i would say that.
    Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I respect islamists

The hardcore/techno night, Prism at the Cowley Road Venue in Oxford fucking finished end of my first term. It was fully amazing, time of my life.
    Tell me about this, was that at the Zodiac or what? Would love to know about stuff happening in Oxford.

I do like that Egyptian Empire one, sampled from C-Cat Trance who were the same guys as Medium Medium I think.

Big Vern types did make me laugh - "they'll never me alive".

Quote Originally Posted by thirdform View Post
    well a lot of it is pure economy isn't it. people like hype and randall were playing a lot of US and belgian stuff into early 92. then when they had their own music they obviously had to commit to that. you won't find any american or Belgian tunes in a 93 randall set. this is the danger with the patriotism going too far looking back historically. but then again i would say that.
    This sort of thing is worth talking about definitely, again because it's more nuanced and breaks down that myth that's accrued around hardcore

Maybe the futurity of hardcore was doomed to become legend and nostalgia, just less quickly than it would have done in the internet era

it's hard to say... memory being a form of filtering and selection and mythification in itself

one thing i've noticed though is that old skoolism necessarily distorts because an old skool dj set or mixtape can cream off the best tunes over a whole span of time, whereas in the clubs at the time deejays would typically play a lot of out-that-week tunes and a lot of these would be fairly run of the mill white labels.... i mean, the kind of obscure oddities or pretty-good things that we would now be buzzed to stumble on YouTube or in some stack of old second-hand vinyl .... but at the time these were were sub-anthemic stuff, DJ tools really - and the accumulation of that could be a bit.... level, i think is the word... it would do the job, sustain the basic vibe .... but not have the explosive effect of an anthem dropping

i can remember some mediocre nights ... where it didn't quite ignite cos the music was all of that type (or the pill was a dud)

but when all the elements converged, it was every bit as incandescently exciting as the myth says

in a way the anthems or amazing tunes, when they drop, have more effect against a more workaday backdrop

if you played 10 x 'Renegade Snares' or 'Terminator' in a row, it wouldn't work

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blissblogger For This Useful Post:

Yeah, although I've seen nostalgic old skool sets where every single tune is an anthem and the effect was (for me) overwhelmingly euphoric.

I'm a bit of a banger whore though.

And also this isn't just about rave/hardcore, I'm sure that process of mythification has happened with grime by now too. (Same with rap music, same with ANY music...)

Quote Originally Posted by blissblogger View Post
    it's hard to say... memory being a form of filtering and selection and mythification in itself

one thing i've noticed though is that old skoolism necessarily distorts because an old skool dj set or mixtape can cream off the best tunes over a whole span of time, whereas in the clubs at the time deejays would typically play a lot of out-that-week tunes and a lot of these would be fairly run of the mill white labels.... i mean, the kind of obscure oddities or pretty-good things that we would now be buzzed to stumble on YouTube or in some stack of old second-hand vinyl .... but at the time these were were sub-anthemic stuff, DJ tools really - and the accumulation of that could be a bit.... level, i think is the word... it would do the job, sustain the basic vibe .... but not have the explosive effect of an anthem dropping

i can remember some mediocre nights ... where it didn't quite ignite cos the music was all of that type (or the pill was a dud)

but when all the elements converged, it was every bit as incandescently exciting as the myth says

in a way the anthems or amazing tunes, when they drop, have more effect against a more workaday backdrop

See I'm a bit the opposite. in collecting old tapes and sets if something like origin unknown valley of the shadows, open your mind and wots my code dubplate and terminator are in the same set I'm like nah, probably going to pass on that one. this is a house/techno approach, but, weirdly enough, I got into house and techno through hardcore, not the other way around.
    I respect islamists

Quote Originally Posted by IdleRich View Post
    Tell me about this, was that at the Zodiac or what? Would love to know about stuff happening in Oxford.
    I knew it as The Venue which was quite a way up Cowley Road, near the Tesco. You went in and up the stairs to the first floor. Main room and bar at the back. Shocking bogs. It's the O2 Academy now. There are occasional Prism/Spectrum revivals there, i went to one in 2011.

Prism was hardcore, techno and finished December 1992 iirc
    Spectrum, the Friday house night, with which it had alternated, carried on for years after. I stopped going in 1993 though. Gat Decor kinda place. The crowd was great though, way more town & brookes than gown. Rugby techno was in the future.
    Last edited by HMGovt; 10-07-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    Yeah, although I've seen nostalgic old skool sets where every single tune is an anthem and the effect was (for me) overwhelmingly euphoric.

I'm a bit of a banger whore though.
    Did you ever read retromania?
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

I knew it as The Venue which was quite a way up Cowley Road, near the Tesco. You went in and up the stairs for the first floor. Main room and bar at the back. Shocking bogs. It's the Carling Academy now I think. There are occasional Prism/Spectrum revivals there, i went to one in 2011.

Prism was hardcore, techno and finished December 1992 iirc
    Spectrum, the Friday night with which it had alternated, carried on for years after. I stopped going in 1993 though. Gat Decor kinda place. The crowd was great though, way more town & brookes than gown. Rugby techno was in the future.
    Yeah, must be the Zodiac - or it was called that in... I dunno, 95 or whatever, maybe been through a number of name changes over the years. What was Spectrum then? I like the way they had a kind of "Refracted light" theme going on with their night titles.

That's the same in any genre though isn't it? Peaks and troughs heighten the experience. Knowing when to hold back and when to go is probably a big part of being a successful dj.

What was Spectrum then? I like the way they had a kind of "Refracted light" theme going on with their night titles.
    House, progressive house. I remember seeing Billy Nasty there, he was very good, but I was going through the motions otherwise and we started taking the Tube into London to nights like Knowledge, Lost and whatever was on at the Labyrinth. Mate of mine went to Roast & AWOL a bit, but he was a Londoner and knew the what, where & how.

Yeah, must be the Zodiac - or it was called that in... I dunno, 95 or whatever
    You're right http://www.bbc.co.uk/oxford/content/..._history.shtml
    Didn't know about that, I left town july 1995

Well I grew up nearby, went to university in 95 and then started going clubbing. Then when I came back in the holidays I was looking for somewhere to go and Oxford and Swindon were the nearest places... sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    House, progressive house. I remember seeing Billy Nasty there, he was very good, but I was going through the motions otherwise and we started taking the Tube into London to nights like Knowledge, Lost and whatever was on at the Labyrinth. Mate of mine went to Roast & AWOL a bit, but he was a Londoner and knew the what, where & how.
    knowledge sounds like it would have been absolutely blinding. progressive house i still have no idea how it got so big, i guess because it dispensed with the shuffly and overtly dubby aspects of chi/nyc house. absolutely tedious gash and now my mates are trying to revive it in their techno sets. that's when i realised that a healthy bit of anally retentive techno purism is a good idea, contrary to bliss. mind you, this purism should be calculated extremely stringently. too much and you get berghain. too little and you get breakbeat edits of armin van buuren.
    Last edited by thirdform; 10-07-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    I respect islamists