Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's almost like deconstructed dancehall, something about it drawing attention to it's own artifice

Cos he chats like someone like buju from backintheday with that bassy low gruff voice but then starts hopping around octaves and doing all manner of crazy voices (I'm listening to Grim Reaper). With little to no transition. So there's no pretence that any of those voices are really him, there's less of a consistent persona, vocally.

sadmanbarty

It's almost like deconstructed dancehall, something about it drawing attention to it's own artifice

Cos he chats like someone like buju from backintheday with that bassy low gruff voice but then starts hopping around octaves and doing all manner of crazy voices (I'm listening to Grim Reaper). With little to no transition. So there's no pretence that any of those voices are really him, there's less of a consistent persona, vocally.

In many respects this is the sequel to the demtarialsiation thread.

Where that thread focussed on the physiological phenomenology of the internet age, this thread attempts to isolate its relationship with identity.

the internet has allowed us great degrees of fluidity when it comes to our identity. of course this can be seen in social media’s current preoccupation with gender fluidity and non-conformity, but it’s far more subtle than that. with access to the internet, your selection of stimuli is determined by factors like geography, class and race to a greatly diminished degree. more than that, the internet allows you infinite opportunities to inhabit fraudulent identities; parody twitter accounts, anonymous accounts free from social repercussion and ostracisation, bots, online trolls (fantastical, folkloric terminology that fits within my lexicon of ‘impish’ and ‘jinn'), etc.

corpsey is testament to the effect that this can have on your behaviour; he claims that he genuinely felt far less inhibited simply by adopting his alter ego corp$ey. likewise version displays the control you can assert over what you put out there; he’ll delete things he’s posted. that’s a mean of controlling who you are and how you come across that you're not able to do in real-world interaction.

this music reflects all of that.

alkaline, lil uzi and tommy lee sparta all flirt with white-boy gothic aesthetic sensibilities.

mumble rappers are all overtly flamboyant, with young thug explicitly and consciously being androgynous.

but far more remarkable than any of that race and gender stuff, is this lava lamp morphing of persona.

for example tommy lee starts his verse 18 seconds in as a gruff, guttural bloke, but within the space of a few seconds he's crossfaded into this brattish cyborg. he briefly dips back again at 29 seconds and by 39 seconds he’s become a muezzin from the 30th century, which quickly fades as he becomes a normal bloke and so on. like someone’s constantly changing the chanel on his personality.

sadmanbarty

autotune renders the voice an afrofuturist pungi. it sounds like snake charming. the biblical serpent arising. toying with satan.

"rise the gaza beast"

droid

Comparing him to a racoon is good. Im still at work or I'd get involved obviously I think droid is completely mental

I had a thread on blood and fire listing all of the dancehall artists named after animals. Multiple varieties of fish, rodents and small mammals. I think there may have been a racoon - but its down now unfortunately.

sadmanbarty

as it happens i like the riddim. hammer horror film spooky.

it's what owen jones heard when he watched panorama last night.

other_life

bioconfused
catfish murda schemin
1:36-1:56
as it happens i like the riddim. hammer horror film spooky.
it's what owen jones heard when he watched panorama last night.
hence the practical fx comparison! even stronger in this other tune, this one leans less on the 'melted gummy side' also. it's more DIESEL BIKE than 'ecco unltd. liquid nitrogen' 'grilling with liquid oxygen' also
really interested in elaborating 'goth dancehall'/'goth rap'/'goth... ?'. bc goth rock has its own offshoots and bastard children.
who are the LEATHER AND SMACK ALIEN HORROR BIKER ROCK N ROLL dipshits? who are the sever 4AD design personalities? so many modalities how does it translate

muser

catfish murda schemin
1:36-1:56

hence the practical fx comparison! even stronger in this other tune, this one leans less on the 'melted gummy side' also. it's more DIESEL BIKE than 'ecco unltd. liquid nitrogen' 'grilling with liquid oxygen' also
really interested in elaborating 'goth dancehall'/'goth rap'/'goth... ?'. bc goth rock has its own offshoots and bastard children.
who are the LEATHER AND SMACK ALIEN HORROR BIKER ROCK N ROLL dipshits? who are the sever 4AD design personalities? so many modalities how does it translate

This guy played with the aesthetic a bit too, probably mostly ripping off Tommy Lee, I'm sure there's others.
Weird song and video.

The satanist symbolism in Tommy Lee's lyrics and videos pretty controversial with conservative christian Jamaica. Hadn't thought about it but I guess could draw parallels to 90s Memphis, three six mafia, deadly verses etc

Last edited: