barty's magical mumble rap roundup

sadmanbarty

starts innocently enough. talking about feeding the ducks or something. then he asks me to sit on his lap and i oblige out of embarrassment. maybe he's just a bit senile. before you know it he's got his hand under my shirt stroking my naked back while telling me about the history of the tuc in the south wales valleys.

wrongun.

luka

I think whAt he is saying is the words you are using to talk about this stuff are exactly the same words he used to talk about ar kane. I think that's what he's saying.

Mapping out a synesthtic universe. The co ordinate points.

Woebot

actually now i think about it, the mumble rap and the murmured, half-buried vocals in AR Kane and MBV etc do kind of fit.... and the fey, androgynous sexuality

AR Kane's debut album was #1 in the indie charts, so very much not something that no one else had heard of!

But at Melody Maker we did push them very heavily - i think they were on the front cover twice.

i bought it at the time and still have my copy of the first lp. you must have remembered freud and the oceanic from "civilisation and its discontents" from your studies at oxford?

blissblogger

drowning in the barthes

not sure where 'oceanic rock' came from

probably secondhand from Sándor Ferenczi, a close associate of Freud who had a whole theory to do with oceanic longings as regression to the womb etc, in this book Thalassa

i did actually buy Thalassa eventually, from that Freud bookshop in Swiss Cottage, but never got more than a few pages into it i confess

this is the very edition

ferenczi.jpg

incidentally i was very much NOT saying that Barty was repeating what i'd already written in the 80s

the opposite, indeed - that in a fantasy joint thinkpiece on mumble, all i would be able to contribute would be recycling of thoughts and imagery from late 80s (themselves indebted to Roland B)

luka

i bought it at the time and still have my copy of the first lp. you must have remembered freud and the oceanic from "civilisation and its discontents" from your studies at oxford?

Simon wasn't studying at Oxford he was burning bare weed and drawing gal.

version

In a 1927 letter to Sigmund Freud, Romain Rolland coined the phrase "oceanic feeling" to refer to "a sensation of ‘eternity’, a feeling of "being one with the external world as a whole," inspired by the example of Ramakrishna.[1][2] According to Rolland, this feeling is the source of all the religious energy that permeates in various religious systems, and one may justifiably call oneself religious on the basis of this oceanic feeling alone, even if one renounces every belief and every illusion.[3] Freud discusses the feeling in his Future of an Illusion (1927) and Civilization and Its Discontents (1929). There he deems it a fragmentary vestige of a kind of consciousness possessed by an infant who has not yet differentiated himself or herself from other people and things.

luka

If you actually read civ and it's discontents as pf course I have you'll know frued says its a load of hippy bollocks

sufi

lala
This one needs to be in this thread I think. The vocals on this are bananas. Remaining an unoffical release 'cos they couldn't get the sample cleared I think.

Video unavailableThis video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Recording Industry Association of America, Inc.. :(