Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deepfakes

Default Deepfakes

It's been fascinating to watch the progress, but it's going to cause so many problems.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to version For This Useful Post:

combination of deep fake technology and huge swathes of people consuming their media entirely through social media is definitely a perfect storm waiting to happen. I can imagine the tech being abused to fuck with democracies in developing countries very effectively.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muser For This Useful Post:

Pretty sure the technology behind the faceapp ageing thing that has suddenly gone viral is based on the same stuff, machine learning, neural networks. If you keep running your face through it reminds me of the feeling Google's 'deep dream' gives you, each thing being intensified and exaggerated with pattern recognition until it's something totally new, close to a certain way you can trip which is why its kind of creepy imo, hacking our perception of reality.

Was listening to a podcast today and they said it could be used the opposite way around as well. Legit video evidence of say, Hillary Clinton doing unthinkable things could easily be written off as fake. Weird times a comin' das fo sho
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

Quote Originally Posted by muser View Post
    combination of deep fake technology and huge swathes of people consuming their media entirely through social media is definitely a perfect storm waiting to happen. I can imagine the tech being abused to fuck with democracies in developing countries very effectively.
    True, but why only developing countries?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    True, but why only developing countries?
    I say that because more people are going to be unaware of the technology, even more people are likely to only use social media to get their information (Myanmar being an example where essentially Facebook is the internet for most) and there will be less access to the tech to check if something has been artificially generated .

I don't know if we could ever get to a place where it would be impossible to disprove a deep fake but who knows. Regardless I guess it's main power will be in small things planting seeds online as opposed to creating scandals.

Well think about this, the ones we've seen so far have all been homebrews. Imagine a couplea years down the line with a professional cgi artist making it. Combined with the deepfake vocal tech where they can sample your voice, I'm pretty sure they could concoct some hard to discern stuff. That shining vid in the OP is already leaps and bounds above the original ones that came out. Time will tell

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    Well think about this, the ones we've seen so far have all been homebrews. Imagine a couplea years down the line with a professional cgi artist making it. Combined with the deepfake vocal tech where they can sample your voice, I'm pretty sure they could concoct some hard to discern stuff. That shining vid in the OP is already leaps and bounds above the original ones that came out. Time will tell
    fair point, reading this is a touch sobering https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/27/1...they-ever-work

yeah that's the thing with anything computer, eventually it gets outsmarted. never ending serpent eating it's tail.

that person does not exist stuff is crazy eh.

google deep dream is still cool tho

I'm not sure how much of a difference all this is going to make, really. Today's populist politicians just spontaneously and shamelessly make statements that anyone with access to the internet can thoroughly debunk in five seconds - "I never said there would be more money for the NHS", "I was at Ground Zero on 9/11", whatever - and it does no harm to their popularity whatsoever. The faithful lap it up, while those opposed to them point out these obvious and not at all sophisticated lies and what does it buy them? A chorus of "OMGLOL triggered!!!!".

So why go to the bother of constructing incredibly sophisticated and convincing lies when crude and blatant ones are doing the trick just as well?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

That's the thing. These things will be as easy to make as applying a photo of a face to a video in a click and a minute or two of rendering. It'll speed certain things up, as in getting unwanted people out of the way. Legal evidence etc. Remember Serpico? The onion is rotten at each layer. Inc the judges. And don't forget that there's plenty of people who aren't anywhere close to woke who won't question it at all. It's just gonna make the dirty work faster. The curtain is being pulled back.

seems like a signal phenomenon of the (oncoming) modern age

19. The Following User Says Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post: