Not listening to music

forclosure

It's a very easy habit to fall into. You can stop listening to music, but you'll probably then go and watch a film or a show or play a game or read a book or watch some sport or read the news and the thought of not consuming any of those things leaves a void.

Ive been reading alot lately but as a way of keeping my brain active in this long period of reslessness and nothingness ive been in,ive stared at a wall many a time already wouldnt really reccomend but hey all down to you

Woebot

definitely listening to less music - and actually buying books generally these days not so much records or cds

but probably because the emphasis on my needs has changed. using music for different purposes

i used to listen to music to send myself OUT - to wire myself to the moon

nowadays - having wired myself to said moon - i'm listening to it more to head IN

probably seeking comfort rather than having my head ripped open

Woebot

definitely listening to less music - and actually buying books generally these days not so much records or cds

but probably because the emphasis on my needs has changed. using music for different purposes

i used to listen to music to send myself OUT - to wire myself to the moon

nowadays - having wired myself to said moon - i'm listening to it more to head IN

probably seeking comfort rather than having my head ripped open

today, after getting a whopping kick from some bob dylan (soz haterz)- something that's probably supposed to be denuded of "mana" - but for me clearly aint. i'm questioning my own logic here a bit. but broadly yes.

bob playlist

was thinking through it as i pounded the surf in cornwall.

though certainly the way in which the same music, the music of one's youth, becomes tactically inverted when used in one's old age (reminiscing with old jungle and techno) bears out this switch from the desire to push UP (probably better than OUT because it's really an introverted impulse) to that to settle DOWN.

hopefully this makes some sense to someone somewhere ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't think I knew you were on Spotify - instafollow. Is there any concept behind this 'The Void' playlist?

Spotify has had an interesting effect on my listening habits. It's opened up vast swathes of music to me, although in other respects I think it's narrowed my listening - insofar as there is obviously a lot ofstuff that isn't on Spotify. And of course there is a devaluing that comes with having all that music for ten quid a month.

Woebot

I don't think I knew you were on Spotify - instafollow. Is there any concept behind this 'The Void' playlist?

Spotify has had an interesting effect on my listening habits. It's opened up vast swathes of music to me, although in other respects I think it's narrowed my listening - insofar as there is obviously a lot ofstuff that isn't on Spotify. And of course there is a devaluing that comes with having all that music for ten quid a month.

"the void" - well i had a correspondence about this same question with blissblogger funnily enough.

here

just been reading loads about the void and the plenum-void in buddhism. the void in buddhism isnt as is commonly understood "nihilistic" but the equivalent of, for instance, atman

w/regards to that music it's just the perception that behind the nihilism in rap there is a spiritual longing. all this frank celebration of money and prescription meds (and the repeated-till-their-mouths-are-numb insistence that it means nothing/doesn't work any more) is one side of the porous membrane to actual explosive enlightenment.

think of the way lots of the key figures in black music suddenly became men of god - little richard, al green... er mc hammer. it's like some of these rappers might start taking on those cosmic themes. of course, kanye is, in a fragmented, confused slightly schizophrenic way doing this. travis scott knocking on the door. can mean BAD music - but there's always the occasional jimi hendrix...

Woebot

it's like some of these rappers might start taking on those cosmic themes.

obv this purely the observation of someone with only a faint and distant engagement in the field

there probably already are lots of people doing this (someone's going to point it out to me at great length im sure) :eek: