The Solution

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Or at least some ideas.

Is there a possible antidote to the current clubbing landscape? Could even a small niche be carved to serve the disscernsussing types? You know, us lot. Or does it already exist? Any of you currently going to some lesser known gem? Anyone know any consistently good nights, clubs, promoters operating right now that don't fall into the pit of mediocrity? Sounds like good tings a gwan in Lisbon according to IdleRich.

Had this idea for a while:

A club with a cyberpunkish sounding, one syllable name, like drome or something equally retro/silly/ambiguous. Small sign above non descript door. No frills. Corsica presentation. Haven't thought too much about decor or music policy. The main twist would be no publicity. No flyers, no websites. The lineup would never be known and you wouldn't be able to see the dj. Maybe, and only just maybe, a silhouette. But that would be it. Powerful sound, natch. One main room and one mong out room playing ambient/experimental stuff.

The main point being to take away the focus from dj, put it back on the music and have people interact with each other.

Music wise,, dance music in all forms. Flow is important but genre not so much. I guess the key thing to pull it off would be to make sure the music was always fucking amazing. Tony Humphries used to work on the 15min rule. He'd play 15min of one style and then switch it up. That way his crowds never got bored. Worked for him.

Extra ideas: What if leaving your phone in a locker was mandatory? Is a selective door policy ever a good idea? And I don't mean the fittest birds and trendiest dudes. I mean bouncers on our level who know the score and would be able to suss out who would work and who wouldn't. Kind of like Berghain, except good. Hopefully attracting something between the music box and the loft style crowds. Maybe it should cater to people older than 25?

So over to you, any ideas about what you think would make for a quality against the grain kind of space which would maybe move us away from what is happening to the boilerroomification of clubland?

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
We did something similar a couple of years back, in a semi-legal venue. There were posters and an fb event but pretty cryptic (see below), had a fairly decent turnout, DJ and live sets all merging together, some noise sets in between disco/techno/footwork/grime etc. If we can manage it up here, you should be able to do it down there.
swarm.jpg

Leo

door policy sounds a bit fascist! after you go a month with not enough of "our people" to pay the bills, you'll open it up to a bro or two. ;)

but seriously...sounds great, wonder how many people there are out there who would actually support something like that.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Nobody over the age of 30 is allowed anywhere near the DJ Booth. Even that might be lax. No old records allowed. No nostalgia. No professionalism. No no nononono limits.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Actually that no old records thing might be a good idea - a club night where everything that gets played has to have been made that week.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Dance music hurtling towards Mick Jagger prancing around singing Street Fighting Man at the age of 86 status.

Mixmag becomes Mojo.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This is where rap music went right

Bunch of kids stormed it who don't give a fuck about KRS One or Nas

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
door policy sounds a bit fascist! after you go a month with not enough of "our people" to pay the bills, you'll open it up to a bro or two. ;)

The Godwin's law is strong around here lol.

The door policy was a question. I hate Berghain on every level, but the door thing is perhaps the worst. I've witnessed racism. I've had weekends ruined. When I've gotten in I've been part of that homogenous black blob acting like they're god's chosen few. That's upstairs tho. I don't fuck with the techno room. It's boring.

And that would be the point. A doorman able to discern who wouldn't be boring to have in the club. I think a few 'lads' wouldn't be able to spoil the fun so as long as its kept manageable most people would be welcome. The door staff are really important.

luka

What I require and have never experienced not one single time in my whole life is a place where I can be on drugs and not have my buzz harshed by dickheads and weirdos where I can listen to music quite loud in the dark and feel comfortable

Last edited:

luka

I've never experienced anything even close to that in all honesty, not a sniff. Shangri-La.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
Or at least some ideas.

Is there a possible antidote to the current clubbing landscape? Could even a small niche be carved to serve the disscernsussing types? You know, us lot. Or does it already exist? Any of you currently going to some lesser known gem? Anyone know any consistently good nights, clubs, promoters operating right now that don't fall into the pit of mediocrity? Sounds like good tings a gwan in Lisbon according to IdleRich.

Had this idea for a while:

A club with a cyberpunkish sounding, one syllable name, like drome or something equally retro/silly/ambiguous. Small sign above non descript door. No frills. Corsica presentation. Haven't thought too much about decor or music policy. The main twist would be no publicity. No flyers, no websites. The lineup would never be known and you wouldn't be able to see the dj. Maybe, and only just maybe, a silhouette. But that would be it. Powerful sound, natch. One main room and one mong out room playing ambient/experimental stuff.

The main point being to take away the focus from dj, put it back on the music and have people interact with each other.

Music wise,, dance music in all forms. Flow is important but genre not so much. I guess the key thing to pull it off would be to make sure the music was always fucking amazing. Tony Humphries used to work on the 15min rule. He'd play 15min of one style and then switch it up. That way his crowds never got bored. Worked for him.

Extra ideas: What if leaving your phone in a locker was mandatory? Is a selective door policy ever a good idea? And I don't mean the fittest birds and trendiest dudes. I mean bouncers on our level who know the score and would be able to suss out who would work and who wouldn't. Kind of like Berghain, except good. Hopefully attracting something between the music box and the loft style crowds. Maybe it should cater to people older than 25?

So over to you, any ideas about what you think would make for a quality against the grain kind of space which would maybe move us away from what is happening to the boilerroomification of clubland?

wax treatment has some of those elements you describe. they don't post lineups or play times. the people dance toward the speakers and the dj is in the back.

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I don't think "old music" is necessarily the problem, someone like Hieroglyphic Being playing old jazz is more exciting than hearing the current Beatport Top 20.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
What you lot want is cafe oto :crylarf:

Edit: Perhaps we're talking about about two different "solutions" to two different "problems".

I'm gonna listen to the Beatport top 10 and see what's up

Last edited:

luka

Ben UFO said cafe Oto would only find its feet once everyone is on class a drugs and he was spot on

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Is Ben supplying everyone?

His mild mannered Christlike persona is the perfect cover for a violent coke dealer