Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bojo

This thread is a great opportunity for me to post this, which I've been meaning to for a while:

In the mini-library we have in the research group here (mainly physics textbooks and programming manuals) there are a few novels and other odds and ends that have been left here by geeks long gone, and one of them is a very trashy-looking '60s sci-fi adventure story called Agent of Chaos by Norman Spinrad (who? exactly) with the following blurb on the inside cover -

Fifty men would pay with their lives to destroy the Hegemonic Council, but Boris Johnson, while he felt regret, felt no guilt. Like everyone else involved with a mission, they were volunteers who knew exactly what they were doing...

The front of the book says The Great Tyrant ruled the solar system with absolute terror. Only one man dared to fight back.

I reckon Boris is going to lead a mission to sabotage the Great Tyrant's scheme to levy a charge of 10 billion Hyper Credits for any spacecraft coming within the asteroid belt...
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 26-11-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Norman Spinrad should have been a DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by noel emits View Post
    Norman Spinrad should have been a DJ.

My DJ is warm, he's X, I call him Norm, ya know!
    He can cut a record from side to side...
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

thank fuck for this

Ken Livingstone and Boris Johnson are locked in an extraordinarily tight race to be London's next mayor, according to an exclusive Guardian/ICM poll of the city's voters. The battle for the biggest directly elected job in British politics could hardly be more dramatic, with Johnson holding a wafer-thin advantage over his Labour opponent.

The poll - the only one carried out by a national newspaper using established techniques - suggests Johnson could pull off a sensational victory on May 1 over the incumbent Livingstone, who won comfortably in 2000 and 2004.

But the outcome is far from decided.

Today's poll gives Johnson a two-point lead overall, at 51% to 49%, once second preferences have been allocated under London's alternative voting system. That is the narrowest possible margin of victory.

Johnson is the first choice of 42% of London voters, against 41% for Livingstone. Other candidates - including the Liberal Democrat former policeman Brian Paddick, on 10% - stand no chance of winning.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...gstone.johnson

Hopefully when Johnson comes out from under the rock he's been hidden under his lead will go into reverse.

good god, its looking VERY bleak- moved down here 7 months ago and will have to move the fuck out in 2 months by the look of it- what a tosser!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exoticpylon View Post
    good god, its looking VERY bleak- moved down here 7 months ago and will have to move the fuck out in 2 months by the look of it- what a tosser!!!
    What? It's instantly going to get so bad you'll have to leave the city?

er hahaha maybe that was a slight exaggeration then.

but i mean, the hair the face- what a nightmare- how much alleged bumbling buffoonery will we have to take?

is the city taking leave of its senses?

Nah, I reckon you're a gangland hoody who's quaking in his Reeboks at the imminent CRIME CRACKDOWN and is going run away and take up ganging somewhere a bit less policey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    ...one of them is a very trashy-looking '60s sci-fi adventure story called Agent of Chaos by Norman Spinrad (who? exactly) with the following blurb on the inside cover -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Iron_Dream

One of the funniest sci-fi books I've ever read.

Nah, I reckon you're a gangland hoody who's quaking in his Reeboks at the imminent CRIME CRACKDOWN and is going run away and take up ganging somewhere a bit less policey.
    well i was until me mates found out i was calling myself exoticpylon.

Now i just run my own camp protection racket. Business isn't all that great either.

i drive and i think the congestion charge is fantastic (you'd have to be a masochist to drive into central london on a regular basis anyway), but i really hate livingstone. I'm not sure how much of that is influenced by his policy and how much is influenced by the fact that my oyster card has this habit of not working on buses and i have to scramble for two quid even if i've already got a travelcard that day, but i definitely hate him. I really resent the tubes not costing what they did when I was twelve too. that's bullshit.
    in the eyes of the lord i drive a spaceship.

London buses are good - they've improved loads in the last ten years, cheaper too I think. Just wait till yer 65 tom then you can be like a 12 year old again.

Quote Originally Posted by noel emits View Post
    London buses are good - they've improved loads in the last ten years, cheaper too I think.
    Apart from the bendies, which are shit - although fair play to Ken, he seems to have listened to public opinion and has said he won't introduce them on any more routes.

I think he's been fucking great for transport, when I moved to London buses cost 60p or something for a short journey and a nugget for a long one. Then they made every journey the same high price to make it "more convenient" for everyone, then it was 1.20, 1.50, 2.... but now if you've got an Oyster it's back to 90p, cheaper than it was five years ago, that's got to be good right? Sure bendy-buses are shit but the routemasters had to go as they were terrible for the environment and not accessible if you were in a wheelchair (in contravention of an EU directive I understand) - plus, who actually pays when they go on a bendy-bus? The main thing they have to sort out is making the machines at the stops work, every time you're waiting for a bus you see some some poor sucker (usually me) impotently punching the thing that's just swallowed his money.
    The congestion charge is obviously a brilliant idea, just needs to be higher I reckon. Squeeze the fuckers who drive cars right off the roads and then the buses will run better and everyone will be happy. Fair enough there ought to be some kind of discount for businesses though.
    With the tubes Livingstone was totally vindicated, he went to court to try and prevent the sequence of events that ultimately ended in the Metronet fiasco. Transport is one of the most important things that the mayor has control of and KL has a good track record whereas Boris wants to cancel the congestion charge. Boris is also a racist - surely not good in the most multi-cultural city in the world (if it's good anywhere).
    I liked it when Livingstone called Finegold (is that right?) a concentration camp guard and the Mail group tried to spin it as racist the fucking morons. The Evening Standard and co hate him and have basically turned themselves into big daily adverts for Boris and if that's not a great reason to vote for Ken then I don't know what is.

Cheers to whoever started this thread, it has reminded me I need to return my form to be eligible to vote next month. Rich is spot on, it's got to be Ken.