vimothy

yurp
But that's the presidential pardon system that's at fault, not the ter two-term limit per se.

Disagree with this. The presidential pardon is simply the mechanism here, the incentives to corruption are created by the term limit: the high cost of impeachment (because the term limit is nearly reached), and the low cost of private goods (because the incumbant is relieved of the need to seek office again).

Regarding the presidential pardon, I do see that it is easily abused (especially when combined with term limits), but I'm not convinced in need be all bad. It could be used to pardon ordinary, non-rich, non-connected people with stupidly regressive sentences, where appropriate.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
i should also have pointed out that johnson is another word for cock :slanted:

And, ironically, the most famous Ken...

ken_80s_pic1.jpg

...has no cock at all!

Pestario

tell your friends
Hehehehe.

Aren't those flesh coloured Y-fronts he's got on though? Who know's what's under there ;)

I'll probably vote for Paddick and give my second preference to Ken. Ken's great but as people have said he's been in office for a while.

crackerjack

Brian Paddick is truly odious. Who saw the QT clash last night?

Saw the second half. He got roundly booed when he tried to capitalise on his rivals' private lives, and rightly so.

Boris really is a tit though - take away the bonhomie and the bluster and you have someone hopelessly out of his depth. That part where he siad he'd make a 'no strike' deal with the RMT and even Dimbleby was metaphorically peering over his glasses at him was just embarrassing.

Ken trounced them both, and in saying that i am in no way biased ;)

OK, well I am, but he still trounced them. I'd make these debates compulsory viewing for all voters. The election would be over as a close contest.

craner

Beast of Burden
The Tories made a mistake choosing Boris. Even if he wins - especially if he wins - it's a catastrophic blunder. I agree with this comment made by somebody somewhere else:

I'd also note that while he's won some people over, I've met plenty of people who would have gone Tory because they're fed up of Ken, but who just can't get their head round the idea of Boris as a serious figure. At worst it pisses people off - they think nominating him shows a lack of seriousness. They might agree with the Tory critique of Ken, but the feeling is that, given the severity of that critique, they should have come up with someone with serious executive capabilities to go against him.

craner

Beast of Burden
Yeah, the RMT pledge blew up in his face. It exposed the lack of knowledge and experience he'd need to do the job effectively - and this for a job it's nearly impossible to do effectively. Ken seemed to be tanking it, and barely seemed bothered, but won through because, basically, Paddick and Boris are both hopeless candidates. I don't think Boris will win. There's something of Neil Kinnock in 92 about this whole Evening Standard-sponsored build up.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Stephen Pollard wrote this nice, and accurate, description of Brian Paddick's 'performance':

"He came across as the worst kind of ego-maniac - the sort who thinks he is humble and a cut above the rest of his peers when in reality he is boorish, snide, ignorant and self-important. At least Ken and Boris know they have high opinions of themselves and don't pretend to be otherwise."

crackerjack

Stephen Pollard wrote this nice, and accurate, description of Brian Paddick's 'performance':

"He came across as the worst kind of ego-maniac - the sort who thinks he is humble and a cut above the rest of his peers when in reality he is boorish, snide, ignorant and self-important."

That's on the button. Everytime he spoke, he spoke in cliches too. I enjoyed the bit where he told Boris to shut up though - you could see his schooldays flashing before his eyes.

crackerjack

*Huge sigh of relief*

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/apr/26/livingstone.boris

Ken Livingstone has edged ahead of his Tory rival, Boris Johnson, in the race to become the next mayor of London, according to an opinion poll released yesterday.

The survey conducted by Ipsos Mori puts Livingstone on 53% - six points ahead of Johnson on 47% - among those certain to vote in next Thursday's election, once crucial second preferences are taken into account. It is Livingstone's biggest lead since the campaign started.

mos dan

fact music
if you're voting lib dem/green/left list/etc PLEASE CONSIDER PUTTING KEN 2ND PREF. this will be vital in stopping that racist, non-londoner loon making us the laughing stock of the world.

also, this way you can vote with your heart, and also your head. personally i will be voting 1. sian berry 2. ken