crackerjack

I got that impression from the Dispatches thing on him - he was filling all his important positions with old activist mates

Politician handing out jobs to trusted old mates shocker!

and spending disproportionate time currying favour internationally

Does anyone seriously give a flying fuck about one token little oil deal with Chavez? There are sticks to beat Livingstone with. And then there are frayed and tattered little twigs...

bassnation

the abyss
Does anyone seriously give a flying fuck about one token little oil deal with Chavez? There are sticks to beat Livingstone with. And then there are frayed and tattered little twigs...

not at all, but the property developer links are very real and i for one object to historical sites such as spittalfields market being sold off for profit. just like most ex "leftwing firebrands" he is utterly compromised and corrupt.

the second thing is that hes labour and as far as i'm concerned that puts him beyond the pale. he got blair to organise his campaign (some fucking good that done him). i don't vote for people who keep that kind of company, sorry.

crackerjack

not at all, but the property developer links are very real and i for one object to historical sites such as spittalfields market being sold off for profit.

That's a fair point, but yet further proof that the chances of London turning into a "marxist city state" under Ken were less than mine of wining the lottery

mixed_biscuits

He's supposedly issued 'cut crime or else' orders to ian blair last week too. Someone ought to force him to watch The Wire.

The New Scientist had an interesting article about crime this week, saying that crime rates are almost wholly related to city size and little else (local circumstances can be disregarded, in other words).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Fucksake. I drink on the tube sometimes, and I generally manage not to menace or intimidate other passengers because I'm not, you know, an antisocial wanker.

And in any case, this new law isn't going stop already drunk people getting on the tube, is it? (And just as well, since it'd be pretty appalling if someone were unable to get home just because they'd had a few pints). Yet there's nothing in this new law to stop the bad sort of drunk getting on the tube and acting cuntishly, is there?

UFO over easy

online mahjong
lol

anyone up for a binge on the circle line on may 31st?

it's quite jokes actually.. not going to be properly illegal until next year some time, so the only reason for this (if we needed confirmation) is that he wants to appear the 'man of action'. politics is rubbish.

I have to say I love the way you can drink in public in London, drink on trains, etc. Love the pub hours extension, and the fact that every other corner shop is a glorified off licence, with special brew on prominent display:)

As I only go there on holidays its not as if I have much knowledge of the situation, but this relaxed drinking atmosphere seems to work alright, drunken disordiliness is probably a lot milder than it would be in other cities if they had the same policies.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
that reminds me - apparently some residents are trying to get outside drinking banned in soho. petition against the change here
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/SaveOurSoho

Bah! Who the hell lives in Soho, anyway? Surely the whole point of the place is that it's a pit of bohemian decadence (or a playground for loud, catty, drunk gay men, at any rate)?

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Bah! Who the hell lives in Soho, anyway? Surely the whole point of the place is that it's a pit of bohemian decadence (or a playground for loud, catty, drunk gay men, at any rate)?
You'd certainly have trouble convincing people that when you moved in it was a lovely area, very peaceful, lovely neighbours, always very pleased to see you...