woops

is not like other people
in my house i don't have an internet connection or a television or a doorbell. i frequently operate an obsolete writing machine called a typewriter. i do have a debit card but it will not work contactlessly. i've got a smartphone but i only use it, for calling and texting. am i a luddite?

version

Has anyone properly spent time in VR yet? The last Resident Evil game had you tied to a chair and being tortured by mutant rednecks in a shack somewhere. I dunno if I'd be into it. There's another where you're in a shark cage at the bottom of the ocean with a great white breaking through.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Did 20min with an occulus rift in the computerspielmuseum in Berlin. Went in sceptical, came out a convert. Was scaling a rock in one of those fantastical Thai bays where the rocks vertically burst out of the water. There were bugs crawling near my hand. Their movements pitch perfect. I could hear the crunch of my feet against the crumbling cliff face. There was exquisitely rendered mist. All the lighting was gorgeous. DFW was talking about how we need to watch out for the time when VR becomes better than reality. I think it's pretty much here already.

version

I want to hear what happens when people drop acid in VR. Someone's bound to try it at some point, probably already have.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
VR is pretty incredible. It's impossible to translate the experience. If you watch a video on youtube of a VR feed it's not that impressive. It's all in the 3D effect.

And it's really the infancy of that tech. They're starting to incorporate sensors on gloves and stuff like that. I suppose one day you'll be wearing a complete sensory suit so you can feel surfaces and breezes etc.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
I want to hear what happens when people drop acid in VR. Someone's bound to try it at some point, probably already have.

Conversely, wouldn't say no to VR tripping. No psychological risks, just all audio and visual. Totally synesthetic. Everything reacting to everything else and fractalising into Alex Grey-esque sensory landscapes (no Tool tho).

Anyone ever play Rez? Imagine ultra hd renders of that in VR with all the sounds and actions in sync.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah, it is called capitalism. virtual reality. relationships between people and things rather than relations between people.

no wonder i had to put infinite gest down after 20 pages. ranting loony american college boy drug shit that even when i was quashing acid every week i absolutely detested.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
My girlfriend was just telling me about a colleague of hers who has been signed off from work for the last couple of months on mental health grounds. "She got a virus on her laptop and decided that technology was monitoring her everywhere she went." I said "Well it kind of is, isn't it?"

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Perfect occasion for this meme:

oozm79d.jpg

And from a movie which made CGI totally worthwhile.