Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a luddite?

supposedly, many people (particularly millennials) nowadays have no problem with giving up personal information in exchange for something "free" in return. on one hand, I think they are nuts. on the other hand, I use gmail and Google docs, so...

I stumbled across something a while back where this guy was convinced that his brain was being hacked by an AI called "Abaddon" which was attacking him through his TV set.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luka For This Useful Post:

Advances in home TV technology is what I am most appreciative of

If I could afford a 120 inch 4K tv I'd be in hog's heaven
    Αι ψυχαί οσμώνται καθ΄ Άιδην.

Thought actually I visited my mate the other day who has a 4K projector and that's the best option. Really like watching a film at the cinema at home. You can keep your books.

I'm a Futurist, a MAD TECHNO FREEK.

On a more serious note, despite me being a technofreak cyberpunk, just this week I've taken to going on walks after work without my phone. (I've tried to go without a pad or a book or something but can't quite make the clean break.) It's really refreshing to exist in the world without distraction, and without the option of turning a nice scene into a photograph. I think you lose something when you photograph a moment, you lose the temporary-ness of it, the wistful victorian romantic beauty of it, you feel it's catalogued, can be filed away.

Cameras on smart phones created that, which then metastasised with Instagram. It's combinations of technologies and platforms that altered human behaviour, created new obsessive itches.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Also, a photograph of a landscape is never anything like the landscape itself - and I never really look at these photographs ever again.

Photographs of people are more worthwhile Imo.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corpsey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
    On a more serious note, despite me being a technofreak cyberpunk, just this week I've taken to going on walks after work without my phone. (I've tried to go without a pad or a book or something but can't quite make the clean break.) It's really refreshing to exist in the world without distraction, and without the option of turning a nice scene into a photograph. I think you lose something when you photograph a moment, you lose the temporary-ness of it, the wistful victorian romantic beauty of it, you feel it's catalogued, can be filed away.
    i already had problems rhyming your victorian romantic personality with that of a technofreak cyberpunk, or could those go hand in hand?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

I'm a victorian romantic born out of time and place.

in my house i don't have an internet connection or a television or a doorbell. i frequently operate an obsolete writing machine called a typewriter. i do have a debit card but it will not work contactlessly. i've got a smartphone but i only use it, for calling and texting. am i a luddite?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to woops For This Useful Post:

No wonder you're sad!

Has anyone properly spent time in VR yet? The last Resident Evil game had you tied to a chair and being tortured by mutant rednecks in a shack somewhere. I dunno if I'd be into it. There's another where you're in a shark cage at the bottom of the ocean with a great white breaking through.

Did 20min with an occulus rift in the computerspielmuseum in Berlin. Went in sceptical, came out a convert. Was scaling a rock in one of those fantastical Thai bays where the rocks vertically burst out of the water. There were bugs crawling near my hand. Their movements pitch perfect. I could hear the crunch of my feet against the crumbling cliff face. There was exquisitely rendered mist. All the lighting was gorgeous. DFW was talking about how we need to watch out for the time when VR becomes better than reality. I think it's pretty much here already.
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post: