Communist music reviews

luka

I mean, as I understand it commies have always had a problem with art in general is that they want class consciousness and revolution and art always gets viewed with suspicion as escapism or distraction or salve or even as propaganda for capitalism and the power structure.

So you either get condemnation of art as a whole or you get art as agit prop which is not art. Is just hectoring and dishonest at that.

Not saying that's necessary or ubiquitous.

other_life

bioconfused
my brain would be here for this literally any other week i feel like im underperforming here in a huge way.
communism is thoroughly confused with lesbian domestic bliss in my brain right now

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
my brain would be here for this literally any other week i feel like im underperforming here in a huge way.
communism is thoroughly confused with lesbian domestic bliss in my brain right now

lol. nice one. why am i the lonely one here? even luke has guests. fucking hell, maybe i need to be the first brown gay incel...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
why is that? why is agitprop necessarily dishonest? what is pure art?

I mean, it's not something exclusive to communists is it? Conservatives have their own political art as well, Kim, Lord of the Flies, all those Asimov novels, Celine, Nietzsche, just because they are the ruling power structure we don't say it's wanky and dishonest agitprop but it is isn't it? That doesn't mean you can't see the merit in it, I think Nietzsche is a great stylist in the same way that a lot of non-PC dancehall is electrifying, NWA etc.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Wynton Marsalais is suspicious of hip hop isn't he? Yet he's anything but a communist! quite a neocon in fact. same with Stanley Crouch.

loads of muslim clerics are suspicious of the hyper-sexualised music that the ummah is being led astray by. and their political views can be all over the place.

you've just internalised a bit of a british framework here i feel.

other_life

bioconfused
oh all that right wing WHAT IF THIS HYPOTHETICAL IS ALREADY HAPPENING AROUND US? MAKES YOU THINK ; ) shit is miiiles worse than the most cloying bragg or mccarthy tune especially because its presentation as 'art' is so pervasive whereas any attempt at bringing the struggle for communism into the ambit of the lyrical themes or the visual company of (broadly) 'pop' music is so readily dismissed

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
and then with the mainstream undie consensus as it were they would cancel danny brown in a fucking heartbeat if they knew his predolections. so it's not as if anyone really escapes politics.

I understand where you're getting at this but gnosticism>religion.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's not like I'm saying it has to be consciously evoked or anything. ruffneck bizniz!

But clubland is going through a crisis. House and Garage have ruled the roost for 10 years, and clubbing has become predictable. Even Jungle never posed a threat to their monopoly (by virtue of the fact that hardly anybody could dance to it) and so the beat went on... and on... and on.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/talking-about-a-revolution-5409462.html
operative word being clubland. jungle was not the music of clubland. when it tried to become that, it became jump up drum and bass.

I'm not really interested in a didactic communist music, just like I'm not hugely into celebration of capitalism unless it's something like up jumps da boogie with some kind of darkness to it - not just the crude oversexualising from Magou and Missy which hits you in the gut but timbo being like: See a black man dead from a white man's powder See a white man scared from a black man's power - not necessarily that lyric but how it is architecturally delivered in that context with the eerie globular post-punk like beat.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
it's weird luke because you always say that you're bored stiff in clubs and wonder why on earth you're there. and that's exactly what I'm trying to do! I'm trying to show how the club is a conservative space but the dance, or dance music, itself can still be revolutionary festivals of the exploited. dance music not club music.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
In 1996 Nasenbluten made the limited edition single "Anna Wood" on vinyl through the Dead Girl label, as a commentary on the moral panic in the press surrounding rave parties after the death of Anna Wood. Her ecstacy related death brought about a hardline approach to rave and dance parties in Australia. The record was never commercially available and was only distributed by the band itself, featuring a picture of the girl with the phrase "I'm having the time of my life" and a picture of Dutch DJ Paul Elstak on the B side with the words "I wanna see the rainbow high in the sky", a reference to the happy hardcore scene and it's links to ecstacy.

Anna Wood is the Sydney teenager who died while under the influence of the 'designer' drug ecstasy at an all-night rave party. The recent coroner's enquiry determined that the specific cause of death was from the intake of too much water, brought on by ecstasy. Anna's Story is a non-sensationalised account of teenage drug usage, and strips away the transparent glamour of rave/ecstasy parties.

sadmanbarty

i was literally getting laid by a flesh and blood person this week.

wow entered the dissensus hall of fame with that one. craner's the only one of us who has had sex before.

tea's girl let him get her pregnant, but i think it was more of a thing where he slung it at her like in silence of the lambs.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
tea mate you have the strangest music taste on dissensus. idk how to work it out. are you secret entryist from we're going deep on fb?

like you seem to be the only other 303 freak on here apart from me but you never seem to expound the virtues of that silver box. why not? you're a communist without knowing it.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
tea mate you have the strangest music taste on dissensus. idk how to work it out. are you secret entryist from we're going deep on fb?

like you seem to be the only other 303 freak on here apart from me but you never seem to expound the virtues of that silver box. why not? you're a communist without knowing it.

Ultimate sleeper agent. But keep it under your hat.

blissblogger

i'm gathering this thread went off in a completely different direction, but in response to the initial request

the New Left Review at the end of the Sixties had some rigorous writing on rock and youth culture

https://newleftreview.org/issues/I6...-second-thoughts-on-a-rock-aesthetic-the-band

(unfortunately the piece fades out into 'subscriber only' after a bit - somewhere i have the whole thing)

that was in response to a piece by Richard Merton, aka Perry Anderson, later the stalwart of Verso Books and a pretty sharp dissector of postmodernism

can't find that essay (about the superiority of the Stones over the Beatles) but here's a secondhand account of it with quotes

https://chaosofmemories.wordpress.com/2013/02/19/perry-anderson-meets-the-rolling-stones/