Midsommar

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
119684-vhwxrebbxk-1557893507.jpeg

Entertaining, crazy, intense film, great mushroom trip visuals.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I was thinking how dumb some of the characters were it was like a typical horror film

Then I read an interview with the writer/director and he said it's like the non-maingirl Americans are stuck in a folk horror film so perhaps these clichés are excusable.

I am a real pussy for sadism even in silly films I was thinking about the fates of these characters for ages yesterday it's ridiculous really

But I'd like to know opinions on the boyfriends fate cos that's a big discussion issue online. The ending in general really.

Was so well directed, stunning visuals/audials and to reiterate they absolutely nailed the trip visuals.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't think it's as good as the wicker man but definitely worth watching. Might be the weirdest film I've seen at the cinema (excepting maybe the Dali/Bunuel one).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've seen quite a few of the more recent critically acclaimed horrors (e.g. babadook) and some of them are scary (e.g. the babadook) but the scariest one I watched in recent memory (e.g. the last ten years) was Paranormal Activity. Shat my keks. Almost wanted to sleep with the lights on after. I don't tend to watch horrors at the cinema. The only one I saw that sticks out in my mind was the Blair Witch Project, which again occasioned a shatting of the keks.

Midsommar wasn't really scary, more of a headfuck (weirdly mixed with this very conventional, predictable narrative)

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Saying that I watched an hour of hereditary after I got back from Midsommar and I had to turn it off cos it was ghouling me out.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I've seen quite a few of the more recent critically acclaimed horrors (e.g. babadook) and some of them are scary (e.g. the babadook) but the scariest one I watched in recent memory (e.g. the last ten years) was Paranormal Activity. Shat my keks. Almost wanted to sleep with the lights on after. I don't tend to watch horrors at the cinema. The only one I saw that sticks out in my mind was the Blair Witch Project, which again occasioned a shatting of the keks.

Spot on. What I see as the erasure of Paranormal Activity from the canon of influential horror films (instead being seen as just a popular, found-footage franchise) is so irritating. The tension is managed brilliantly, and the creepy minimalism is epic. All the family coven stuff must surely have influenced Hereditary.

I saw BWP and Paranormal Activity 1&2 at the cinema, and the latter were definitely the scarier, much as I like Blair Witch. One horror film I wish I'd managed to catch at the cinema - House of the Devil.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
House of the Devil was absolutely brilliant until the last bit. Really scared me up until the reveal. (As is so often the case.)

The Orphanage, another one that made me sick with fear.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Haven't seen the Orphanage I don't think, will add that to my list of Spanish films to watch (language learning).

Yeah, the set up to HotD is absolutely blissful; it could have been twice as long and I wouldn't have got bored. It has that same fall into nostalgic dreaminess that It Follows and (in the beginning) Super Dark Times both manage. I can't get enough of that aesthetic.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's just that principle isn't it of not showing too much.

The Babadook was like that, as I recall - absolutely petrifying until the Babadook got too close and then it was just a bit silly.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, and of creating a real atmosphere, a world into which the story can be inserted....which all the best horror films manage to do in one way or another.

i'd have to watch the Babadook again, tbh. I remember loving it, and not being disappointed by the ending. Under the Shadow was very much in the same mould, with added djinn - worth a watch, again especially for the sense of place and time.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Fire Walk With Me is one of my favourite films of all time, but I can't even rank it as a horror film as it goes so much further.

I didn't like Repulsion much though. The Tenant was his best imo. When someone is channelling real life horror to that extent tho, it becomes something different again - just transmitting trauma through the screen. I feel similarly about David Lynch - it's not a film about trauma, it is transmitted trauma.

In terms of pure disturbance, The Flypaper episode of Tales of the Unexpected takes some beating. Just the provincial Englishness of it takes it over the edge.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Scariest film I ever saw was probably The Woman in Black (ITV version, not the Daniel Radcliffe remake which was mediocre IMO).

Mind you, my parents laid the groundwork for that by saying how terrifying it was before we watched it. Same thing happened to me with The Shining. I'd read it was the scariest film ever somewhere (Empire?) and was duly petrified.

Ringu was another one. As a general rule I think ghost stories are scarier than horror movies, which tend towards silliness because they demand explosions of violence. On that subject "Funny Games" isn't 'scary' so much as sickening and harrowing.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
This movie has stuck in my head. I watched 'Spiderman: Far From Home' the day after and I've already completely forgotten it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Not convinced by Paranormal Activity, I get that they need to walk a fine line between being so slow that it's boring and being so obvious that the story of a family being slowly terrorised wouldn't make sense. They are going for creepily low-key but I find it just falls a bit too much on the slow side. Paranormal Activity 4 was on here tonight and it was just rubbish really, nothing much happens slowly for a long time... and then SPOILER it's like they got bored and the demon kills everybody in five minutes. The pacing is totally off, it's boring and then silly - and I thought the same with the second one, although the first one may have been better, not seen the third.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
probably don't watch this if you haven't watched the film

Seeing this on my laptop screen emphasises to me that i need to go see this again at the cinema cos you need that massive image and enveloping sound

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I haven't yet seen the film, but having read a lot about it I am less keen than I was - it all seems a bit too dedicated to shock value, like Lars von Trier Mark II, or some of Darren Aronofsky's films (who I've gone off in a big way). I'm sure it's very well made, but I'm having second thoughts about bothering...