Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wrestling

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    i guess this is extremely anglo-saxon? literally know nobody watching wrestling
    I met some guys here in Portugal who were hugely into it, it was one of the first things they mentioned about themselves. They were kinda intellectual types so maybe it was ironic but they'd definitely seen it and knew all about it. Fuck knows why.

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    i guess this is extremely anglo-saxon? literally know nobody watching wrestling
    not only, no

the 3 main pro wrestling strongholds are, for whatever reasons, the U.S., Japan, and Mexico

it's if anything bigger (per capita) in Japan, where tho still "fake" pro wrestling is treated closer to a real combat sport, and there's more crossover

and Mexico has its own well established wrestling tradition, lucha libre

why all this is, I couldn't tell you

as far as international fandom outside those three countries, no idea

but I'm pretty sure it's not Anglo-Saxon in any particular way

also, in terms of origins, the strongholds of "real" wrestling (i.e. Greco-Roman, freestyle, etc) are afaik the U.S. and parts of the former Soviet bloc

and then many, many countries - India, Mongolia, etc - have their own wrestling traditions

what you could definitely say - tautologically, albeit truly - is that American pro wrestling is very particular to the United States

and so being a fan of that is as a person from somewhere else is akin to being, in a way, a fan of American action movies or what have you

There is a radio station here in Lisbon which is in the back of one of what used to be a Mexican owned shop or butchers or something. The shelves have all these Mexican wrestling masks on them.

Harley Race died yesterday, tough old bastard

A couple of my mates told me about going to see some WWF tribute act when they were kids with guys impersonating The Undertaker, Kane, Stone Cold and the rest and apparently they had this announcer with a proper Yorkshire accent.

"Ooor Noor! It's The Undertekker! An his brutuh Kern!"