Is a counterculture still possible?

entertainment

Counterculture is defined by what it stands in opposition to. Last time there was a veritable counterculture movement, the culture that it countered was much more unified. When now, pop culture is so heterodox, so fragmented, it's difficult to consolidate such a thing now. The word and its definition is increasingly incompatible with today's reality.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
When now, pop culture is so heterodox, so fragmented, it's difficult to consolidate such a thing now. The word and its definition is increasingly incompatible with today's reality.
yes/no

counterculture, and culture proper, aren't necessarily synonymous with nor subsumed by popular culture

if you've ever read The Republic, you'll have comes across the part where Plato has Socrates go on at exhaustive length about the education of the city's guardians

he's obsessed with their indoctrination from the earliest possible age - the kind of stories they'll be allowed to hear, type of training they'll receive in "music + poetry"

he's talking about the creation, transmission, and control of culture, to him the most important foundational building block in constructing an imaginary ideal state

the power of culture, culture as power, culture is power (something something Foucault something)

padraig (u.s.)

if you're thinking only in terms of popular culture, yes, it's vastly more heterodox and any remaining monoculture correspondingly diminished

but even the canonical 60s counterculture wasn't merely about music, psychedelic posters, whatever

politics, drugs, life

tune in turn on drop out, whatever one may think of its efficacy (or Leary) isn't about popular culture

it's imagining an alternative way of existing (again, leaving aside any judgments about practicality etc)

padraig (u.s.)

as long as humans exist there will be culture of some kind, and necessarily something in opposition to it, I guess

my original post was really more about imagination than anything else

it's a pretty common theme of mine that we've talked about in a few threads (dematerialization etc)

a counterculture exists in the breathing space between that which it opposes and repression and/or recuperation

we live in a time in which the efficiency of both is so staggering that it makes it difficult (at least for me, tho seemingly many) to conceive of something that would escape them

facial recognition software + (ever more) viral marketing

padraig (u.s.)

a world in which all is known (even when it isn't) has no space for anything else

tbf, I am hugely pessimistic about the future even if we somehow don't get done in by climate change

a nightmare society of proles on UBI ruled over by tech-bro philosopher kings

and/or marketing become synonymous with dreams, complete inescapable

padraig (u.s.)

so you can say, it's probably more productive to put your energy into making the best of what is

which, alrite

but it's also like: imagine you're on a bus that drives over a cliff, and everyone's solution is to mash the gas pedal down harder

I've felt like that since I was in my teens and was first exposed to things like green anarchism, Ishmael, and so on

(their solutions are terrible/completely unworkable, but the critique was good: they were way ahead of most people on the existential severity of climate change, albeit possibly for the wrong reasons)

so trying to imagine an alternative is also an attempt not to retreat - further, at least - into existential cynicism

it's my own thought experiment

padraig (u.s.)

tbh idk what this really has to do with dissensus, likely fuck all

these days I mostly just pop up here once in a while to talk about things I don't get to discuss in the course of my actual life

oh btw anyone interested, on the topic of apocalyptic prophets droid emailed me recently, he's just been real busy with actual life too sounds like

luka

tbh idk what this really has to do with dissensus, likely fuck all

these days I mostly just pop up here once in a while to talk about things I don't get to discuss in the course of my actual life

oh btw anyone interested, on the topic of apocalyptic prophets droid emailed me recently, he's just been real busy with actual life too sounds like

Good to hear. Actual life is best avoided but we all succumb from time to time.

chava

Is the alt-right/incel thing a counterculture?

There's something there, that's for sure. Hard to get a grip on it. MGTOW, Proud Boys, Traditionalists, Reactionary thought are popping up several places. It's a mess, but some of this has momentum and is definitely anti mainstream culture. When this eventually starts embracing eco/environtalism I honestly don't know what's going to happen.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When this eventually starts embracing eco/environtalism I honestly don't know what's going to happen.

Seems pretty unlikely to me. Of course eco-fascism has been around forever and still exists, but from my understanding, it intersects much more with anti-civ thought and general academic misanthropy (Unabomber etc.) than with the alt-right per se. The modern far right ('alt' or otherwise) is overwhelmingly anti-green, as much because it's another way to oppose progressives, vegetarians/vegans, "hippies" etc. as for any other reason.

(and to pre-empt luka: no, that does not it make it the 'fault' of the green movement, obviously)

version

There are the alt-right guys who are into Varg and Fight Club and think men need to be hunter-gatherers and all that though. Joe Rogan hunting elk with a bow.