Is a counterculture still possible?

luka

Well none of us, with the partial exception of vimothy, know anything about economics!

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
Is this part, or all, of why it is so difficult or even impossible to envision something else?

There's also a part in the Republic where he discusses training the guardians of the city, and the very first thing he discusses is the stories they'll be taught as children

Or in other words, how they'll be indoctrinated.

Anyway, I have to think on those other questions.

luka

Yes not understanding the system probably makes it harder to imagine a different one. That sounds reasonable.

padraig (u.s.)

it's not really about not understanding

I might not understand abstruse financial vehicles without some explanation but I know how capitalism works, basically. I have investments + stuff.

(it's actually terrifying to me how financially illiterate many people are)

it's more that no one has ever imagined and successfully implemented a different form of socioeconomic organization

which gets back to, what is culture? what is a counterculture? if it exists, is it a desirable thing?

muser

FB-IMG-1568670980720.jpg

entertainment

Disagree with the statement that punk was nihilist. I think it was the opposite. It had drive and everything that has genuine human drive also has values and meaning. Basically western culture's last desperate reach for something authentic while sliding down, being swallowed up by itself. Culture has been entombed by itself, stifled by too much knowledge of its own history. Punk was an authentic thing because it was emancipatory in that regard, rejecting history.

Now, artists seek originality by some simulation of authenticity by positioning their work in relation to previous works, not by working from their human motive. So we get irony, post-irony, meta-irony, then cynicism. That's nihilism.

People enthusiastically consume art and read literature and listen to music that has no transformative effect on their lives. That's giving up. I have friends that study philosophy and they all live their lives as conventionally and unimaginatively as anyone else.

version

Brad Pitt just did an interview with GQ where he talked about this stuff a little:
“Leo and I were having this conversation the other day. I hit this point in the late '90s or early 2000s, where I realized I was chasing these interesting [roles], yet I was failing to live as interesting a life as I thought I could.”

“There was just too much emphasis on finding interesting characters. I went, ‘Fuck me, man. Live an interesting life and the rest will take care of itself.’ Like, ‘You go out and you…live an interesting life. Get out and have real experiences.’ And that is what informs the work. Not going to find the interesting work and then trying to make it up. I just became more conscious of how I was living versus what I was living for.”

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

Disagree with the statement that punk was nihilist. I think it was the opposite.
it was and it wasn't

that inherent paradoxical tension is probably the main thing that makes it still interesting, still resonate, almost 40+ years after the fact

nihilism qua nihilism has genuine human drive, the drive to nothing, to lay bare the cosmic pointlessness of all human decisions

what you're referring to as essentially de facto nihilism - cannibalism of the past - is rather, as you say, cynicism

punk was cynical, but about the past rather than the future

this gets messy at the level of granular historical detail (there wasn't really a Year Zero break) but it works in terms of symbols, attitude, spectacle (Sex Pistols on Grundy)

padraig (u.s.)

as far as the idea it wasn't nihilistic, well, the evidence refutes you

see also: 1969 another year with nothing to do, and the entire 2nd verse I Wanna Be Your Dog

and the blatant ripoff Pretty Vacant, or vay-cunt as Lydon puts it

and of course the greatest and most quintessential hardcore anthem of them all

padraig (u.s.)

that is a thing that requires the energy, passion, drive of youth

and unsurprisingly its arc mirrors that of youth, burning impossibly bright and brief until it burns itself right out

hence punk lasted essentially 2 youth generations, basically 76-79 punk, 80-84 hardcore

everything since being the exact thing you describe, positioning work in relation to prior works, subgenres defined by minor stylistic differences

padraig (u.s.)

one could argue that metal is by ethos much closer to de facto nihilism

unrepentant longhairs making unrepentant ugly power chord noise, fuck everything

the edges always get sanded off, but at the beginning point

Blue Cheer ca. Vincebus Eruptum, Hellhammer, Slayer ca. Show No Mercy, early death metal (a young Glen Benton: "death metal is freedom"), etc

unlike punk the trap there is technical proficiency

tho as Lemmy predicted, once the punks learned to play their instruments they more or less did start playing metal, so the snake eats itself (which is fuckin' metal, bro)

padraig (u.s.)

there's something the continuing resonance of "punk"

an adjective to affix to literally any concept or noun to imply some kind of edge

which speaks, among other things, to its cooptability

padraig (u.s.)

whereas metal is inherently and intrinsically, uncool

and thus more inherently resistant to cooptation

to bring it back around to the idea of subculture and counterculture

entertainment

I guess my point is that I see punk the artistic movement as more describing the contemporary condition of nihilism rather than nihilistic in itself. They weren't conveying cynicism and apathy because they thought it was cool. It was more confrontational, sticking the ethos in yr face as inevitable product of the times. Or ultimately, maybe framing cynicism and apathy as cool is a critique of the times as well.

Sorta like how post-modernists are called that for describing the post-modern condition rather than bringing it about or celebrating it. Acknowledging it is the only way to break free from its chains.

chava

No music can be nihilist in its essence. It is a paradoxical statement.

Perhaps something like HNW comes close.