Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: chav--explain to a confused expatriate please

Quote Originally Posted by vimothy View Post
    I'm saying that a meritocratic system is not necessarily equitable, despite what many people think.
    Sure. I don't think I'm arguing for a meritocracy particularly. Just a reduction in people being adversely judged for things they have no control over. I'd like co-operation rather than competition to be the basis for society as you know.

Interesting convo

My two cents: with social constructs, whether it's sexuality, what's considered attractive or healthy, gender, class, who counts as a chav etc etc, there are always some questions you have to ask. Basically, who is doing the constructing and why? Who does it serve? And why does one particular group get to decide? And so on...

Social constructs serve political goals and they are about maintaining power.

No matter what way you look at it, it's a great time to be a privileged chav. There's a chav in the white house, arguably every celebrity who uses twitter or talks to the press is a chav. With members of the Royal Family bending over backwards to get that lucrative Hello magazine photo shoot, clearly even the aristocracy has embraced chavdom. And lets face it, anyone who posts inane stuff on facebook and has a salary below 1 mil is a stone cold chav. I think it's time for all those who don't come from Essex to stand up and be counted, we can do this, we can be a chav, YES WE CAN. You tried to lock us out but we'll break down the door, there is no longer any glass ceilings that we can't drag our spray on tanned knuckles through

4. The Following User Says Thank You to owengriffiths For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    none of it matters. harvey, irma and now jose, all just days apart, 190 mph winds and 25 inches of rain in south florida, all while mexico is hit with an 8.1 earthquake. biblical. it's end times. surrender.
    Gotta feel sorry for your continent at the moment. If it makes you feel any better, I got positively drenched walking from my car to my front door just now.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    Gotta feel sorry for your continent at the moment. If it makes you feel any better, I got positively drenched walking from my car to my front door just now.
    that's how it starts, tea.

btw, apologies, forgot to also include simultaneous hurricane katia in mexico and wildfires that have consumed over 30,000 acres in northern california.

100-year storms, flooding, raging infernos. next are the locusts.
    Last edited by Leo; 09-09-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Dogs and cats living together, MASS HYSTERIA!
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

apologies also for derailing this thread.

It was pretty derailed already!

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    apologies also for derailing this thread.
    On this forum, a non-derailed thread is the exception, not the norm ::

Anyway, back on topic, if the chavs gave us anything truly glorious, it's surely the goggle jacket. Makes the Black Bloc look like a bunch of fartsy stew-dunts whose mums knitted their balaclavas.

APEX%20Fusion%20Goggle%20JKT%203[1].jpg