Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: chav--explain to a confused expatriate please

Quote Originally Posted by boy better know
    I think some people are a bit too hysterical about offending the "underclasses" with this word. Most "chavs" aren''t even working class, and they're so oblivious that they probably wouldn't even consider themselves chavs.
    i think its perfectly reasonable to be offended when people sneer at the poor. i'd hardly call it hysterical - unlike the media panic about hoodies which is totally hysterical

and underclass != working class btw, its a level below all that, which is why you often get people spouting the old line "well, i'm working class and i don't dress like that"

you are right about them being oblivious to it though.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnation
    its definitely happening, there have been several reported incidents in the last few days alone. but its hard to tell whether people are picking up on an urban myth that was first reported in the media, and imitating it - or its something thats come from nowhere. i don't know if you've picked up on the other stories related to this, but big shopping centres like bluewater in kent have banned the wearing of hoodies and baseball caps - the traditional "chav" uniform, under the pretext that if someones wearing a hood, the cctv cameras won't catch them.

theres a distinct whiff of moral panic about the whole business, if you ask me. the uk doesn't really know how to deal with children and youth - attacking these clothes without dealing with the underlying social problems of kids not having anything to do seems a bit pointless, really.
    what do you think came first though, the idea/scare/publicity, or the incidents focussed and named, i'd love to know

you are right about them being oblivious to it though.
    I don't know; i saw a tape pack a few years ago called Charva Beats, from that what i've overheard and seen written on bus shelters it's definately self-applied a bit... With such a codified style, can you be oblivious?

All this hoodies and baseball cap shit is bewildering in it's intensity and cluelessness. I mean as clothes go both are pretty all pervasive up and down the age and social spectrum - if they're really banning people with them from that shopping centre - as opposed to just banning young people - then you've got be dazzled really... i mean wtf!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Watson
    Is there a term for the gloomy looking children in ridiculously wide bottomed trousers and home-died hair? They look like descendents of goths, but you couldn't really call them that.
    a couple of years ago i was trying to popularise the term L'il Knots And Bizkits...

Quote Originally Posted by mms
    what do you think came first though, the idea/scare/publicity, or the incidents focussed and named, i'd love to know
    apparently its evolved from tv programmes like jackass and dirty sanchez - although they are beating the crap out of each other in a consensual fashion rather than running up and bopping some old granny on the head at the bus stop. i dunno, kids of today. i mean, i've done some pretty anti-social things as a teenager but it was mostly petty vandalism and shop lifting, rather than assaulting people!

Quote Originally Posted by LRJP!
    a couple of years ago i was trying to popularise the term L'il Knots And Bizkits...
    I like Bizkits. I shall use that at the earliest opportunity.

oi blame the tango ads

apparently its evolved from tv programmes like jackass and dirty sanchez - although they are beating the crap out of each other in a consensual fashion rather than running up and bopping some old granny on the head at the bus stop. i dunno, kids of today. i mean, i've done some pretty anti-social things as a teenager but it was mostly petty vandalism and shop lifting, rather than assaulting people!
    There was a bit of a discussion about Happy Slapping in a thread in the music folder linked here. There's some very interesting reading in there.

What about your daily assaults on common sense over on UKD?

Quote Originally Posted by tox
    There was a bit of a discussion about Happy Slapping in a thread in the music folder linked here. There's some very interesting reading in there.
    the phenomenon of narrative becoming action action becoming narrative is called
    ostension, ie the phenomenon of people who begin to action urban legends
    http://www.ostension.org/whats_ostension.html

happy slapping seems to be an extention of societies habit of capturing and recording absolutley everything.
    it's just casual violence plus the abilty to see it again, it might also be taking back a bit of control over what and who is recorded, considering we are a society under huge amounts of survellance.
    Last edited by mms; 20-05-2005 at 05:56 PM.

in Ballard's Super-Cannes (2000) you have the bored professionals (doctors, bankers etc)
    going out on violent sprees filming themselves raping, beating the shit out of innocent people etc
    - for both immediate satisfaction and later enjoyment/reliving on the screen.

Ballard got the class (?) and age-group wrong - but I think it's pretty much the same phenomenon.
    And it's not only happy slapping, by extension it's also Pammy/Paris Hilton's "home-videos",
    footballers involved in "roasting" etc.

Filming just the victim goes back even longer - "Peeping Tom" (and some Film Noir move I can't
    remember the title of).
    Last edited by Ness Rowlah; 22-05-2005 at 01:53 AM.
    Ness Rowlah

I've heard the term Chav is a police acronym for "council housed and violent" -- but that story could just be anti-police prejiudice.
    paul.meme
    Out now: Move Down Low VIP on SOUL JAZZ Records SJR225-12
    Out now: Blackdown & Dusk Meet Grievous Angel Uptown: Margins Music Redux (Keysound LDN014)
    Out now: Soundclash1 Remix / Harpy (Keysound LDN011)
    Out now: Ice Rink Refix (Devotional Dubz ERZULIE03)
    Out soon: WOOFAH 4!
    http://blog.grievousangel.net/ | http://www.myspace.com/grievousangelsoundsystem

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Watson

Is there a term for the gloomy looking children in ridiculously wide bottomed trousers and home-died hair? They look like descendents of goths, but you couldn't really call them that.

We usually refer to them as "emo kids", although this is probably a misnomer. Those who really listen to emo are probably more short hair, piercings and plugs, and tighter clothes.

in Ballard's Super-Cannes (2000) you have the bored professionals (doctors, bankers etc)
    going out on violent sprees filming themselves raping, beating the shit out of innocent people etc
    - for both immediate satisfaction and later enjoyment/reliving on the screen.

Ballard got the class (?) and age-group wrong - but I think it's pretty much the same phenomenon.
    And it's not only happy slapping, by extension it's also Pammy/Paris Hilton's "home-videos",
    footballers involved in "roasting" etc.

Filming just the victim goes back even longer - "Peeping Tom" (and some Film Noir move I can't
    remember the title of).
    Following on from this, I read something in the Guardian a few weeks back that rather disturbed me - young kids engaging in group sex whilst their parents were out after school, apparently influenced by the footballers roasting incidents. "Daisy-chaining" is the term... http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...471856,00.html

Nothing about filming it... yet...

'daisy chaining' cor that sounds brilliant, absolute total destruction of all innocence wrapped up in the name of an innocent childs game of the past, only an adult could make that up, and i don't believe a word of it.

aren't those kids with big trousers and miserable faces, and sometimes fairly unused skateboards called grebos?

aren't those kids with big trousers and miserable faces, and sometimes fairly unused skateboards called grebos?
    LOL
    Grebo = Pop Will Eat Itself and Gaye Bikers on Acid
    paul.meme
    Out now: Move Down Low VIP on SOUL JAZZ Records SJR225-12
    Out now: Blackdown & Dusk Meet Grievous Angel Uptown: Margins Music Redux (Keysound LDN014)
    Out now: Soundclash1 Remix / Harpy (Keysound LDN011)
    Out now: Ice Rink Refix (Devotional Dubz ERZULIE03)
    Out soon: WOOFAH 4!
    http://blog.grievousangel.net/ | http://www.myspace.com/grievousangelsoundsystem

they are. as were big greasy rockers in the 60s.
    load of bollocks really.