Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: chav--explain to a confused expatriate please

Quote Originally Posted by john eden View Post
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/chav

NOUN

British
    informal, derogatory
    A young lower-class person typified by brash and loutish behaviour.
    This thing that I bolded about lower class.

And the point about relative poverty.

And we can move on to cultural capital. Maybe. And taste.

Good god, John, were you always this pompous and headmasterly?
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I've always found the repetition of tedious tasks wearing, yes.

I've always found the repetition of tedious tasks wearing, yes.
    But you have a job, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tea View Post
    There were never this many Owens around when I was a kid. Where have they all come from?
    We've been around for decades, hiding in plain sight, waiting for our time. Our day will come.

Quote Originally Posted by owengriffiths View Post
    But you have a job, right?
    That and school is how I found out.

Links in with this thread:
    http://www.dissensus.com/showthread....395#post339395

I remember being told to do something or other in infants school and deciding to just wander off and see what other people were doing. I got called aside by teacher he asked me something like - did I not like the work or something. And I said no. And he looked a bit taken aback and said that I'd probably have some problems later in life then. And I remember thinking well if it's so great why do people have to be forced to do it. Anyway, we were both right as it turns out.

Back on this thread, it is also Chavs' rejection of the protestant work ethic that people hate. There's some grim stuff in there about the sexuality of the lower orders too.
    Last edited by john eden; 06-08-2017 at 10:06 AM.

Back on this thread, it is also Chavs' rejection of the protestant work ethic that people hate.
    That's the best euphemism for "living on the dole" I've ever seen, lol.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

That's the best euphemism for "living on the dole" I've ever seen, lol.
    In today's western economies becoming unemployed isn't a "privilege" of the lower ranks of society any longer. The constant threat of "becoming redundant" has eaten deeply into the middle class. And together with this ubiquitous job-insecurity the pressure on the actual jobless and poor has intensified. Welfare cuts, (economically idiotic) workfare programmes also have this element of hatred and revenge. Meaning the still-got-a-job middle class believing the on the dole crew has it so easy for not wage-slaving away so they gotta be punished for that. Which also shows how much the "work as fun" BS is propaganda.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to firefinga For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    In today's western economies becoming unemployed isn't a "privilege" of the lower ranks of society any longer. The constant threat of "becoming redundant" has eaten deeply into the middle class. And together with this ubiquitous job-insecurity the pressure on the actual jobless and poor has intensified. Welfare cuts, (economically idiotic) workfare programmes also have this element of hatred and revenge. Meaning the still-got-a-job middle class believing the on the dole crew has it so easy for not wage-slaving away so they gotta be punished for that. Which also shows how much the "work as fun" BS is propaganda.
    Exactly. And Chavs' refusal to appear downtrodden and know their place REALLY pisses people off in this climate.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to john eden For This Useful Post:

You are in a sense right, though. Resentment of the unemployed is a major source of support for Tory austerity policies among working-class and middle-class voters alike. No-one likes to feel that they're going to work each day so someone else doesn't have to, and it's very difficult to see an effective way to counteract this narrative when there is in fact a core of truth to it, for all the exaggeration and distortion it's then subjected to by the government and the press.

when there is in fact a core of truth to it, for all the exaggeration and distortion it's then subjected to by the government and the press.
    The only core of truth in this debate usually is, that there is a group of people working and a group on the dole and on welfare. I sometimes have to debate fools who are jealous and envious of the welfare recepients and I usually say, if it's so great, come on, what's holding you back? Sell all your stuff, live on your savings for a while and then get yourself to the welfare office and apply for support.

No-one likes to feel that they're going to work each day so
    the boss can keep up his BUPA payments.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    Where did I ever say it was easy? It's fucking shit, and is shitter now that it ever has been, within living memory at least. I have personal experience of this. My point is exactly that living on the dole is shit, and should not be romanticized as some sort of noble stand against capitalism. For one thing, that makes it sound voluntary, which - most of the time - it isn't.

That aside, everything you've written is true. Although it's not just the middle class who exhibit this resentment. All the strongest anti-'scrounger' talk I've heard has come from people who are themselves working class.
    Last edited by Mr. Tea; 06-08-2017 at 07:57 PM.

My point is exactly that living on the dole is shit, and should not be romanticized as some sort of noble stand against capitalism.
    Do you feel that anyone is doing that here?