Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Death begins at 40

I think it's the attitude and demeanor as much as the change in fashion, nutrition, lifestyle and so on; the war probably played a part too. You see someone like Lee Marvin or Steve McQueen or Charles Bronson now and it looks like they were born middle-aged.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Craner said to me today turning 40 was the worst day of his life and that he still wasn't reconciled to it despite now being 43. He says it still feels gut wrenching
    I'm 41 and 5 months.

Yeah but I was watching this documentary about Bowie, my favorite man, and he was doing this big world tour in the 00s, fit as a fiddle, prancing around thin and wired, bags of energy every night, adoring female backing singers fawning over him, you look so young David, how do you do it David, etc. Then BANG massive heart attack.

Death begins at 40.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Worrying about aging ages you.

Turning 40 itself is no big deal. Unmemorable compared to other big life events, I'd say. (However, looking back on it is a different matter and makes me feel somewhat queasy with terror, like balancing above a precipice. So I'm half with Craner on this one.)

John is right though - making it is also a cause for celebration.

Also, speak to loads of 50-somethings, and they will - as perhaps in this thread, I'm not sure? - reassure you mightily.
    Last edited by baboon2004; 13-08-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Yeah but I was watching this documentary about Bowie, my favorite man, and he was doing this big world tour in the 00s, fit as a fiddle, prancing around thin and wired, bags of energy every night, adoring female backing singers fawning over him, you look so young David, how do you do it David, etc. Then BANG massive heart attack.

Death begins at 40.
    But he'd spent a decade doing sacks of cocaine. Not a fair comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    But he'd spent a decade doing sacks of cocaine. Not a fair comparison.
    Yeah, that's true.

I realised at 40 that's it's all about mitigating the damage that has already been done. It's probably better not to know what that damage is, but try to mitigate it anyway. Ignorance, in this case, is bliss. It probably keeps you young too, because nothing advances the cause of aging more than stress.

This is quite pertinent to me at the moment because I went to my GP for the first time in a long time last week and when he found out I'd turned 40 last year he signed me up for loads of mandatory blood tests. "Just standard," he said, "to make sure everything is in working order. We do this to everybody at 40." This was, on the one hand, reassuring; on the other, isn't it like opening a can of worms? I'm a bit paranoid about being put on a course of BP tablets or statins or something, because once you're on those, then the side effects start, and it's a quick downward slope to geriatric doom.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Mitigation, definitely. I cleaned up my act drink and substance wise in my late 30s (with occasional relapses), but I have to admit that was a health scare, not my own iron will.

Free blood tests after 40 are def a good thing - so many people don't get them prior to this, and there are few better quick ways to gauge overall health. I don't think professed ignorance evades stress, it just leads to various forms of sublimation.

Vimothy and woops are nearly there. Few months behind me on the road to death.

Look ahead, and you'll see enlivened, enriched individuals enjoying the second half of their life with no cliff edge in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by baboon2004 View Post
    Look ahead, and you'll see enlivened, enriched individuals enjoying the second half of their life with no cliff edge in sight.
    Yeah, right.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Liars and religious zealots.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    Yeah, right.
    I'm not in a cult, Craner. I was being absurd.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

I can't stand happy old people.