How do you maintain the muscle? Addressing pre-diabetes means less sugar mostly, and less shit carbs that turn into sugar, unless I have that wrong?

Resistance training until you can't do another rep builds muscle. Doesn't have to be heavy, you need to get to the point where you cannot do it anymore. Compound exercises where a group of muscles is engaged rather than isolation exercises using just one (e.g. bicep curls).

i would say less carbs full stop, they all turn into sugar, they all get turned into fat by the liver and stored in adipose cells, locked in by chronic increased insulin.

When insulin levels fall, your adipose cells can release the fat, which is metabolised by the liver directly and turned into fuel.

Fructose found in fruit (and which makes up 50% of sugar), is particularly hard on the liver, so fruit and smoothies are one of the very worst things to eat for fattening you up. Probably because fruits were once acutely seasonal and weren't a problem in those amounts.

The body keeps about 5 grams of glucose on hand at any time, anything in excess of that is turned into fat as glucose (and insulin) are highly toxic. Your body does its best to bale out glucose from your bloodstream and, eventually, becomes less able to do that because of insulin resistance.

Check this out
unnamed.jpg

Those with lowest insulin resistance suffered fewer (i.e. zero) clinical events (cancer, heart disease, stroke, T2 diabetes, etc) than those in the higher tertiles.

Cutting carbs leads to total remission in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics in a very short time. It's pretty basic stuff that is ignored by mainstream health authorities who idiotically continue to recommend a balanced diet, which is really a profitable diet for food and pharmaceutical companies.

I don't care if you agree with any of this or not (Mr Tea), I'm not here to debate. Diet is mainly down to social conditioning and marketing, it's painful, at first, to free yourself from that.

As for the current war on meat... :mad:

Last edited:

catalog

yeah but what if you really enjoy fruit and eat it to avoid all the cakes??
i turn 40 next year - i've made my peace with it this year.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2...g=yqBcIiR32APsEV5WcIVZi5EJk5wQchd2-FkgZU9zs6A

This is a great piece of writing on a middle age man experiences health crisis theme.

Dan, this is bloody brilliant, thanks!

Not that I was confined to my ward. In a convenient Bedknobs and Broomsticks touch, my bed was able to travel all over the world: to a home in Malaysia for a quite delicious meal; a New York hotel off Times Square; a pleasant house party in Brighton; a Monaco-themed bistro in Chelsea; a Sealink ferry, where (details, details) the medical staff had company logos on their lanyards; a Star Wars memorabilia store in Turin; and – more seriously – a board reception to celebrate the successful creation of the first tranche of merchandising for the series. It was fun to be wheeled among the television grandees in my bed, glad-handing studio bosses and money men.

The only potential glitch in these travels was that, one evening, I was kidnapped by Class War, who spirited me off to one of their safe houses, fed me beans on toast and, after an interesting ideological discussion about the internal contradictions of capitalism, drove me back. Charming people. Badly misrepresented in the media, I concluded.

DannyL

Wild Horses
It's great isn't it? It reminded me of when you have utterly convincing dreams, so much so that you're really confused (or disturbed) when you wake up.

firefinga

Some people are already born dead.

The obsession with being/staying young has always puzzled me.

You could of course always go the plastic surgery route and get one of those joker faces that look like dead masks.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I didn't realise you guys were all this old (no offence).

I feel quite old already and I'm 34. But then I think I've been depressed in one way or another since I was a teenager.

There's definitely more and more of a sense of possibilities disappearing in the rear view mirror. A loss of energy, too.

I think me not getting married or having kids or whatever plays into this because I don't feel like I'm doing what I'm "supposed" to be doing at my age. It's a bit like that feeling you get when you're the only person left at a party. Only without the fun. :crylarf:

craner

Beast of Burden
But when you're not in Greece you're always at weddings, Corpse. That can't help!

I don't think I'm obsessed with being young, I'm just not into the reality of physical decline. I'm not waging jihad against age.

I wasn't born dead. Mildly comatose, maybe?

martin

----
I remember a friend locking herself in a toilet cubicle in Luton Bus Station after downing a bottle of white cider on her 18th birthday,threatening to immolate herself with a cigarette lighter and violently sobbing "I CAN'T BE THE DANCING QUEEN ANYMORE". She knew the score.

Being a delusional halfwit, I held out hope a bit longer, until I failed to qualify for the Young Persons Railcard, but the gig was well and truly up before that. Enjoy your 40s.

poetix

we murder to dissect
So far my 40s have been the decade in which increasing numbers of people have unaccountably treated me as if I know what I'm talking about. Whiteness, maleness, educated manner of speaking all doubtless contribute significantly to this.

poetix

we murder to dissect
I like to think there will be some correspondence between my social role as a figure of wisdom and maturity and my actual state of knowledge for another decade at least, after which overrated old-dufferdom surely beckons.

poetix

we murder to dissect
I shalln't care. I will be an inveterate old troll, obstructing and exasperating the young to the best of my abilities. It will form their characters.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I remember a friend locking herself in a toilet cubicle in Luton Bus Station after downing a bottle of white cider on her 18th birthday,threatening to immolate herself with a cigarette lighter and violently sobbing "I CAN'T BE THE DANCING QUEEN ANYMORE". She knew the score.

^excellent material for the 'martin anecdote text generator' I'm currently writing

Leo

I think me not getting married or having kids or whatever plays into this because I don't feel like I'm doing what I'm "supposed" to be doing at my age.

don't let it worry you, corpse. I was considerably older than you are when I got married, and we're happily childless. life's not prefect but it's pretty good.