Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Death begins at 40

Don't worry, the impending ageing population catastrophe will wipe the smiles off all their/our faces. Once final salary pensions disappear, you'll have no worries on this score.

I didn't really mean that. I was just being cantankerous and grouchy.

Like an actual old person

4. The Following User Says Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

You've lived longer than most humans in history at a time and place of unprecedented prosperity. You've been mostly spared debilitating disease, accident or major trauma. Absent of external factors you can expect to live for at least another 30 years.

You've survived. Count your blessings. There are countless others who didn't make it.

The race is not won to the swift but to the one who endureth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Amen (brother) to that. It's pretty amazing all things considered. Trick in life is surely to realise the sheer range of options available at this juncture in history.

Even better, can't do worse than the appallingly mad and selfish generation that is over 65 now and intent on destroying the lives of younger people. Surely?
    Last edited by baboon2004; 13-08-2019 at 11:00 AM.

One thing I have noticed is that I'm definitely not as strong as I used to be. I can feel the attrition a bit more. And I can't hit the gym to compensate due to having a kid in my mid-40s. Pressups at home aren't as good.

My Alexander Technique teacher is a good guide to ageing well. He's in his late 50s, is a Karate black belt and could easily beat the shit out of me without breaking a sweat. Apparently his AT teacher (Don Weed) has said he looks forward to ageing because he'll have improved so much through continuous employment of the Alexander Technique. Can't wait to see the benefits it will have delivered by the age of 70, that sort of thing. To some degree bullshit but an interesting take.

I stopped ageing a couple of years ago. 10kg or more lighter and more muscle than I ever had in my 20s or 30s. Which is important as about 8% of muscle mass is lost every decade after 40, 15% every decade after 70. Lose your muscle and you're no use to anyone, least of all yourself.

Blood tests are worth it, but ignore the doctor's analyses of what's needed. They'll say your testosterone is normal, when it's almost certainly too low. Ferritin is important, too much iron in your system makes you prone to infection, dementia, all sorts.

What counts as high blood pressure is probably normal. A1c is the most important. Most people in the West are pre-diabetic and THAT is what causes most ageing and long-term health decline. Sort that out and you'll avoid age-related illness for decades.

If more and more people go vegan and rely on cheap carbs and toxic processed seed oils for their food, there's going to be a lot of sick, unhappy, senile people around in a couple of decades.

The gold-standard heart health test is a CAC scan, which measures calcification in the coronary arteries. If that comes out clean, you're warrantied for 15 years as far as your heart is concerned.
    Last edited by HMGovt; 13-08-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    And I can't hit the gym to compensate due to having a kid in my mid-40s.
    Why not? I spend about an hour in total each week in the gym. Just do weights, cardio is a total waste of time and does nothing to build muscle and it's a very inefficient way to lose weight.

How do you maintain the muscle? Addressing pre-diabetes means less sugar mostly, and less shit carbs that turn into sugar, unless I have that wrong?

Your avatar is not convincing in this regard.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to baboon2004 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    3 days left. Scared. Panicky.
    Ah don't fret too much. I'm sure you've got several years of hard drinking and drug use to look forward to yet.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

Quote Originally Posted by DannyL View Post
    How do you maintain the muscle? Addressing pre-diabetes means less sugar mostly, and less shit carbs that turn into sugar, unless I have that wrong?
    Resistance training until you can't do another rep builds muscle. Doesn't have to be heavy, you need to get to the point where you cannot do it anymore. Compound exercises where a group of muscles is engaged rather than isolation exercises using just one (e.g. bicep curls).

i would say less carbs full stop, they all turn into sugar, they all get turned into fat by the liver and stored in adipose cells, locked in by chronic increased insulin.

When insulin levels fall, your adipose cells can release the fat, which is metabolised by the liver directly and turned into fuel.

Fructose found in fruit (and which makes up 50% of sugar), is particularly hard on the liver, so fruit and smoothies are one of the very worst things to eat for fattening you up. Probably because fruits were once acutely seasonal and weren't a problem in those amounts.

The body keeps about 5 grams of glucose on hand at any time, anything in excess of that is turned into fat as glucose (and insulin) are highly toxic. Your body does its best to bale out glucose from your bloodstream and, eventually, becomes less able to do that because of insulin resistance.

Check this out

Those with lowest insulin resistance suffered fewer (i.e. zero) clinical events (cancer, heart disease, stroke, T2 diabetes, etc) than those in the higher tertiles.

Cutting carbs leads to total remission in both Type 1 and Type 2 diabetics in a very short time. It's pretty basic stuff that is ignored by mainstream health authorities who idiotically continue to recommend a balanced diet, which is really a profitable diet for food and pharmaceutical companies.

I don't care if you agree with any of this or not (Mr Tea), I'm not here to debate. Diet is mainly down to social conditioning and marketing, it's painful, at first, to free yourself from that.

As for the current war on meat...
    Last edited by HMGovt; 13-08-2019 at 12:24 PM.

yeah but what if you really enjoy fruit and eat it to avoid all the cakes??
    i turn 40 next year - i've made my peace with it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    I don't care if you agree with any of this or not (Mr Tea), I'm not here to debate.
    No argument here, you clearly know a lot more about this stuff than I do.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you