IdleRich

IdleRich
Whhhhaaat? You're gonna be a Dad Tea? I didn't know that. Blimey.
But yeah, I have observed that that is one of the main factors determining people's apparent age. Definitely remember first working in office jobs in the early 2000s and you'd have me and another guy same age sitting near each other, both temping I think. I'm on the phone arranging weekend with someone - pubs, clubs, more pubs and clubs etc - and when I put the phone down the guy next to me said "You make me feel so old". The reason being that despite being 23 years old or whatever going to pubs and so on was basically out of the question with two young kids in terms of both money (especially in that job) and time. And I think that once you stop doing that for ten years or whatever you can never start the same again. But the weird thing is that people like that despite the fact that they have fewer late nights, a generally more healthy lifestyle and so on always seem to go bald and wrinkled and old first too. It's like the aged spirit ages the body or something.

Last edited:

IdleRich

IdleRich
Article is interesting enough but the kicker which comes at the end and sort of undermines the whole thing and makes it totally depressing to me is;

I’m now 57, and the 40-year reunion of my class of 1979 is this month. I will go because I’ve always gone, because for me, unlike for many other people, high school was the best time of my life, the most formative with the most lasting effects
I would have thought that the author who admits to not having grown up would still think that the best time might still be to come. In other words it's not a long lasting development but rather a loop of stunted growth that she's stuck in.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hi Rich. Happy birthday for the other day. Yeah I am! Pretty stoked, bit apprehensive but looking forward to it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
people like that despite the fact that they have fewer late nights, a generally more healthy lifestyle and so on always seem to go bald and wrinkled and old first too. It's like the aged spirit ages the body or something.

Stress!

Plus as far as I can tell for the first two or three years at least you don't get a proper sleep.

It used to be women who stole all my friends and now it's babies. :mad:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I am friends with some women. Babies stole them.

Pushed to the side of their own lives.

Bastard babies.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The argument is that you can't be friends with a woman (as a straight man) - and visa versa - because there's always underlying sexual feelings on the part of one or the other.

Actually the argument seems to be more that MEN can't be friends with WOMEN because the MAN will always have some sort of sexual angle on it.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Or better still, lesbians. Then you can get drunk together and talk about what birds you fancy.

luka

The idea that male friendships are based on nothing beyond shared vices seems largely correct to me. If you abandon that vice your friendship group will disappear. As soon as you fall off the wagon they all appear again. It's a contract for mutual destruction. Very dark and sinister.

luka

It's not true that it's always the on the mans part. Often the woman has a sexual obsession and the man doesn't. absurd to assume it could only ever work in one direction only.

luka

Maybe the best situation for male female friendship would be mutual but unconsummated attraction. Although there's probably a time limit there.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Probably they were pandering to the audience by suggesting it's only MEN who are duplicitious horndogs.

Almost all my female friends are partners to my male friends, which nullifies the sex question. (at least for now ;))

luka

Barty says he makes a point of pulling his mates girlfriends because he says illicit sex is much more delicious