comelately

Wild Horses
50KG is what I bench press although thats for three 8 sets so I probably could do more. I don't do press ups.

It's great fun once you're into it. Stick on some thrash metal and pretend you're a viking warrior in athletic shorts for an hour.

I've done 90 for 6, and 92.5 for 1 but bench press is where the accidents happen and there's a shortage of power racks and deadlift platforms in London gyms unless you are willing to go at very quiet times. I've probably got a 100kg press in me if I'm feeling it and I can create a safe set-up. I did a 190kg trap bar deadlift at The Gym on Walworth Road last Saturday, so I ain't one of those top-half only dudes.

Obviously this changes if you do roids, but generally speaking weight training is, or at least can be, a fairly cheap hobby. Even in London, membership to your local no-frills is a score. Even your creatine, and your protein powders and what not can be bought pretty cheap from bulkpowders, or at HomeBargains/B&M type places. This is a big change from 10-12 years ago. If it makes you cut down on your drinking a bit, you may even save money. It makes sense to me that loads of young lads go with their mates and hangout on the regular.

Sometimes I have found myself going be default; it is addictive and you feel like you're getting something done - even though there's a certain amount of diminishing returns (and Corpsey, you're winging it.....get a full plate of either side of that bar). I'm in the process of switching over to a twice a week lifting regime for that reason, and also some of the reasons hinted at in this thread (age, allowing time for mobility work and cardio, not living in a tracksuit etc).

The guy whose 2 x week regime I'm following; fan of Julius Evola apparently :crylarf:

DannyL

Wild Horses
The one that always crack me up is Nassim Taleb being a disciple of Mark Rippetoe (who wrote Starting Strength, great book).

comelately

Wild Horses
Yeah it was watching Rippetoe on YouTube that I was reminded the Bench Press is where the fuck ups can...fuck you up.

But funnily enough, this afternoon I did dead bench off pins about 3cm above the chest and ground out an 100kg single - which I think is more than equal to a 100kg bench. :)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
This thread is making me feel bad for having neglected the gym completely for a couple of weeks. I feel I should probably work on my basic fitness while I have the energy to actually do so, i.e. the next couple of months, before the house is taken over by a tiny adorable time/energy/attention-sink.

luka

Date My Age dot com.
Meet your mature match.
It's never too late to fall in love.

luka

Last night I fell asleep before 10. Woke up around 2, got undressed, back to sleep till 10. It's the cold.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Date My Age dot com.
Meet your mature match.
It's never too late to fall in love.

These people once started sending me advertising pictures of "sexy" older ladies, single and ready to mingle. It was extremely depressing.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
These people once started sending me advertising pictures of "sexy" older ladies, single and ready to mingle. It was extremely depressing.

On the plus side though, Katie is what, 39? 40? So you're practically a cradle-snatcher.