luka

I'm a big advocate of self improvement. I struggle with it myself but I reccomend it to other people. Get stronger, get fitter, get brainier, get more cosmic, get more knowledge. Read 20 books a week, meditate, write poetry, do your press ups, go for a jog, be kind, project universal love waves into the universe. I think you should do all those things.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It doesn't give it meaning but it it does allow people to have the experience (a good thing) of setting a goal and attaining it. If you lift weights you get immediate results. You can see it. It's like the difference between an office job which is an endless treadmill and a trade job where by the end of it you've built a garage or something,

That's what I mean by a meaning

Leo

from purely a numbers perspective, I wonder if the rise of incels means it's actually easier to meet women now, since there's this entire portion of the male population who've retreated to the online world. there are the same number of women in the world and fewer available men, so odds are surely better now for guys who are looking for dates.

also, women must think guys are just fucking weirdos with all this incel stuff. young women surely endure many similar pressures and issues growing up -- thinking they aren't pretty enough, smart enough, too heavy, not in the right social circles, etc. -- that boys/young men do, yet they don't hold up in their mom's basements and brood and resort to bullying. some of them have struggles (eating disorders, cutting) but the large majority just manage it and lead normal childhoods and lives.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
also, women must think guys are just fucking weirdos with all this incel stuff. young women surely endure many similar pressures and issues growing up -- thinking they aren't pretty enough, smart enough, too heavy, not in the right social circles, etc. -- that boys/young men do, yet they don't hold up in their mom's basements and brood and resort to bullying. some of them have struggles (eating disorders, cutting) but the large majority just manage it and lead normal childhoods and lives.

Yeah, it's a tragedy that while the pressures that girls and women face have led to feminism, which has tended to make things much better for women, the pressures that boys and men face have tended more to create and reinforce a culture that is making their own problems worse, not better (even if it gives them a feeling of belonging with fellow-sufferers, in the short term), to say nothing of being universally hostile to women too.

To play shredder's advocate - although there is obviously a huge element of vanity and machismo to this stuff, it's also as an activity something that potentially gives your life a bit more meaning and structure. Maybe not for the flabby beefcakes, but if you want to get ripped it takes a lot of discipline, steroids or not.

Plus our culture is health-crazed, anyway. There's more awareness than there has ever been (as far as i can tell) about the importance of eating healthily, exercising, not smoking, etc.

Probably makes for a more boring culture.

Health-crazed, yes, but working on the wrong information, so no benefit for 99% of people. Information that is usually the precise opposite of what is true.

With the right information and a modicum of dedication, it's very, very easy to lose a stack of flab and replace it with muscle. I wish I'd known that in my twenties and thirties - not that I've ever been flabby, but it was in the post.

God, I sound like i'm about to sell a course.
Actually, this bloke does have ebooks and courses for the older lady and gentleman and does know what he's on about

Leo

I should say that girls have to deal with the whole "mean girls" phenomenon, but that's a different form of bullying. bad but usually not violent or lasting.

droid

It also doesn't have (often) violent impacts on hundreds of millions of people daily and society in general.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
from purely a numbers perspective, I wonder if the rise of incels means it's actually easier to meet women now, since there's this entire portion of the male population who've retreated to the online world. there are the same number of women in the world and fewer available men, so odds are surely better now for guys who are looking for dates.

Pretty sure I've read that this has happened in Japan.

And the situation is bound to get worse with the advent of VR and sexbots.

Leo

to a degree, it's also true here in cities like New York or San Francisco where there's a sizable gay male population. I've known more than a few hetero women over the years who lament about how so many of the nice, good looking guys in NYC are off limits to them because they're gay.

luka

Toxic masculinity is a toxic concept, little wonder it's having such a bad effect on those suspected of it just because they're male.

Clearly scolding, finger wagging, nose-holding, pearl clutching, prigishness and hypocrisy isn't helping anyone.

version

One of my brother's mates suffered from anorexia, recovered then went completely the other way and started juicing. He ended up so big that I don't think he could fully raise his arms due to the size of his biceps.

version

isn't it also weird that neo-nazi's in the usa dress up like marvel characters? i was watching some video's from i believe portland and some of those white supremacist were doing a cosplay thing and also they fight with swords and shields. just all a bit strange no?

luka

YouTube comments are fascinating when you get outside the western box. Heaps of race war on between eg Turkic and Mongol tribes. Everyone playing too many computer games or something. en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göktürks

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ancient and mediaeval history is a huge source of memes for the alt-right. They love the Roman empire but their favourite topic is the Crusades - which is a bit odd when you consider that they were ultimately a total failure and actually hastened the end of Christian civilization in that part of the world, so that now the only non-majority-Muslim state in the Near/Middle East is Israel.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
50KG is what I bench press although thats for three 8 sets so I probably could do more. I don't do press ups.

It's great fun once you're into it. Stick on some thrash metal and pretend you're a viking warrior in athletic shorts for an hour.

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's true that we talked about Incels... I asked how many people do you reckon there are who just can't get laid and I'm pretty sure you said that pretty much all our mutual acquaintances are all like that (plus they are all through dissensus and called Ollie).

luka

50KG is what I bench press although thats for three 8 sets so I probably could do more. I don't do press ups.

It's great fun once you're into it. Stick on some thrash metal and pretend you're a viking warrior in athletic shorts for an hour.

Will you be my personal trainer. I've never been inside a gym.