vimothy

yurp
idk what evidence would convince you of the thesis. it seems obvious to me that there is a nihilistic element in (perhaps "modern") man -- hence fascism, revolutionary violence, terrible war crimes, etc. isn't there a secret and awful part of us which exhults when the fetters come off?

luka

ballard is illustrative of a point isn't he. I don't see why it matters that he's problematic, projecting, professional or whatever, but if it does, and if he is, it doesn't refute the point it just means its a bad example

You're wasting your time Vim but I for one appreciate your patient explication of the obvious in the face of truly overwhelming odds. I haven't been this disappointed in dissensus in years. Emotional reactivity, obtuseness and point missing galore. I feel personally let down.

droid

Youre conflating an impulse for violence and destruction with the desire for apocalypse. There's a reason soldiers don't burn their own cities to the ground.

droid

You're wasting your time Vim but I for one appreciate your patient explication of the obvious in the face of truly overwhelming odds. I haven't been this disappointed in dissensus in years. Emotional reactivity, obtuseness and point missing galore. I feel personally let down.

Join the club. Perhaps your poorest performance.

vimothy

yurp
they don't attack their own cities, so I doubt it. you're suggesting that this red-mist type phenomenon in war is rational?

droid

As I said before, if you look around you will see the end point of a grotesque and utterly undemocratic ideology that has triumphed over all others through overwhelming violence, manipulation and control.

droid

ppl voted for donald trump

Jesus, is this where were at? Ignore the last 100 years of American history, the millions of social, cultural, economic and political factors and events and pin it all on a nihilistic desire for the end of the world?

version

But then there's the rest of the world, the majority. The indigenous peoples who managed to live in relative harmony with nature for millenia, various cultures and peoples who aren't necessarily driven by such a rapacious desire to dominate and exploit. We cant discuss group consciousness and simply ignore most of humanity.

Doesn't pretty much every religion feature a form of apocalypse or doomsday? Surely that indicates some sort of desire for catastrophe?

vimothy

yurp
Jesus, is this where were at? Ignore the last 100 years of American history, the millions of social, cultural, economic and political factors and events and pin it all on a nihilistic desire for the end of the world?

I'm not sure I understand this comment. isn't a vote for donald trump a vote for chaos in some sense? at least for some ppl?

vimothy

yurp
As I said before, if you look around you will see the end point of a grotesque and utterly undemocratic ideology that has triumphed over all others through overwhelming violence, manipulation and control.

there's no free choice then, no one looks at this and says, yes, I'd like a slice of it? they're all being pushed into situations they have no control over

droid

Doesn't pretty much every religion feature a form of apocalypse or doomsday? Surely that indicates some sort of desire for catastrophe?

Not outside messianic cluts, no. There's a wealth of literature on comparative religion, and apocalypse means very different things to different people.

droid

I'm not sure I understand this comment. isn't a vote for donald trump a vote for chaos in some sense? at least for some ppl?

Let's say it is, firstly that negates the the suggestion that this is a universal drive, secondly, the people who said they wanted to 'shake things up' by voting for trump are the same group who have been screwed so completely by capitalism and a plutocratic system that they see no alternative, in that sense they are voting for change not catastrophe. It is in essence, a vote for a better world, not a worse one.