Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: We Are All Willing On The Catastrophe

Of course this tendency co-exists with dismay, horror, fear but even the ability to feel fear is something we have been estranged from and welcome.

I always thought Ballard's usage of apocalyptic imagery was kinda post-traumatic in itself, in that the imagery is so strong but there's no emotional content. It's like the trauma can't be voiced, only played out in these obsessive images. All the hunger and fear (which he must have experienced in Shanghai) is occluded. Perhaps there's a parallel there .

I've read quite a lot of post-revolution Syrian testimonies and there's no schadenfreude or similar there. Just a lot of loss and trauma, though people are still proud of the revolution, when they lived out their highest values against opposition unimaginable to us. I'd link this into the values Droid invokes.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

The weirdest moment to me so far was the February heatwave. I remember the heat at dusk and it just feeling wrong, for the sun to be going down so early on such a hot day.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    As I say this tendency is seen most clearly in droid (which is why he reacts most vociferously) but it's present in all of us. Cheering on the apocalypse.
    Then you need new glasses. Ive never known you to be so spectacularly wrong or show such a disastrous lack of insight.

Like anybody else who understands the enormity of what's happening, my feelings are a mix of fear, sorrow, grief and rage. You may as well be accusing me of secretly wanting to murder my own children.

Pontificate around your ill thought out thesis as you wish, but please exclude me from your half baked psychoanalysis.

The more you thrash and flail the more you reinforce what I'm saying.

lol, OK, so you invent a thesis, ascribe it me without a scintilla of evidence and then claim that any denial is further proof of your razor insight. An old, and lazy rhetorical trick.

Since we're engaging in playground psychiatry - I know you're taking your 40th hard, but maybe you should spend more time coming to terms with the prospects of your own personal annihilation rather than projecting your anxieties onto others.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    I've noticed this sentiment in the Brexit debate. There's a morbid curiosity about just how bad it can possibly get and a sense of excitement over the increasingly ominous headlines.
    I think for obvious if fucked-up reasons though. Many people believe that at some point change will HAVE to happen, things will get so bad. I don't see that as pre-ordained, sadly. Human beings' capacity to adapt very quickly to new norms is astonishing and frightening, and what sustains these far-right maniacs at the helm.

Talking

I keep saying this isn't about you droid! What I'm saying is obvious and uncontroversial

I kinda think we've had such a lot of distance from the genuinely bad as well, that people can celebrate catastrophe quite easily. We haven't experienced any wide scale breakdown for some time in the UK. There have been some moments of upheaval but I barely remember the the strikes and power cuts of the 70s and 80s and I'm old as dirt.

I mentioned Syria above. You sometimes see those who lived through WW2 mentioned in these debates. Bit cliched to say it but those who've lived through breakdown aren't keen to repeat it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DannyL For This Useful Post:

I keep saying this isn't about you droid! What I'm saying is obvious and uncontroversial
    Fuck off with that. You framed your entire idea around your 'insight' into my psyche.

Look at why we are in this position. Corporate dictatorships that hid evidence, Bolsonaro, Putin, China and America, deeply illegitimate and undemocratic actors and societies. Even in the US 72% of the population want action on climate and the environment. You can make all kinds of arguments about the sustainability of humans as a species, but they are problems of systems and complexity. Is there a small germ within us all which craves destruction and death - sure, but thats not the root of the problem, rather a surprisingly small number of very evil people who have seized power and shaped how our society functions in order to maximise profit.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

No, you are the person everyone on the forum most readily associates with this tendency. The gleeful quality, the ghoulish lingering over gory details. What I said is its not exclusive to you. It's universal.

No, you are the person everyone on the forum most readily associates with this tendency. The gleeful quality, the ghoulish lingering over gory details. What I said is its not exclusive to you. It's universal.

Again projection. You see what's in your own heart - now fuck off and cry on your candles.

Droid where does this toxic nasty quality come from. It's really unpleasant. You're ruining an interesting thread by being a crybaby. Please don't. Just walk away if you find it upsetting.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    a surprisingly small number of very evil people who have seized power and shaped how our society functions in order to maximise profit.
    Amen to that. Everywhere you care to look, that's what's happened. Health, agriculture, architecture, education, even militaries are simultaneously hollowed out and geared for profit.
    It's not capitalism that's the problem though. It's rent-seeking, monopolies and globalisation. We're being farmed. Small is beautiful is true, but we've allowed corporations and goverments to grow to a terminal size.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HMGovt For This Useful Post: