version

A bunch of people were tweeting various fake disasters hitting Burning Man after the news of the mud and storms came out. You had claims of earthquakes, an ebola outbreak, a plague of boils. A spontaneous act of collective invention.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
A bunch of people were tweeting various fake disasters hitting Burning Man after the news of the mud and storms came out. You had claims of earthquakes, an ebola outbreak, a plague of boils. A spontaneous act of collective invention.
Or just wishful thinking, given that it's Burning Man.

version

Or just wishful thinking, given that it's Burning Man.

That was part of it, but people were trying to inject nonsense into the narrative around it and play around too. You had people claiming to be there and hearing vague reports and rumours on the ground. For a while, some were taking the ebola thing at face value and sharing it. A couple of people I know were knocking ideas back and forth on what to tweet to keep it rolling.

shakahislop

That was part of it, but people were trying to inject nonsense into the narrative around it and play around too. You had people claiming to be there and hearing vague reports and rumours on the ground. For a while, some were taking the ebola thing at face value and sharing it. A couple of people I know were knocking ideas back and forth on what to tweet to keep it rolling.
the amount of flack burning man gets in the UK is always a surprise to me. people really seem to go in hard on it, particularly the kind of people that go to it. i think it's a media / media-tised concoction, people repeating what other people on the internet have said, you basically never meet americans in the UK and if you do they probably have never been to burning man. what even is a tech bro. how can you develop a resentment for people at such a distance

shakahislop

there's whole categories of people who exist in the UK (well really i'm talking about england) who don't exist in the US. lads for example. they don't exist here i think. i'm not sure tech bros exist in the UK but also i've never met one and i'm not sure what they are

version

the amount of flack burning man gets in the UK is always a surprise to me. people really seem to go in hard on it, particularly the kind of people that go to it. i think it's a media / media-tised concoction, people repeating what other people on the internet have said, you basically never meet americans in the UK and if you do they probably have never been to burning man. what even is a tech bro. how can you develop a resentment for people at such a distance

The people I'm talking about were American.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty

When you're made of misery, people enjoying themselves too much and too earnestly is an affront that needs to be taken down. You'll find ways to justify it intellectually, but that's just to cover up what's really eating you. It's one of the key things that separates England and the US. The misery mindset at the core of England's fabric and the can do effervescence of America.

I'm not into burning man at all, don't think I'd ever go, but it's pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things. Was probably better before the influx of influencers and Peter Thiel types with their private compounds. Stuff like that can only last so long.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When you're made of misery, people enjoying themselves too much and too earnestly is an affront that needs to be taken down. You'll find ways to justify it intellectually, but that's just to cover up what's really eating you. It's one of the key things that separates England and the US. The misery mindset at the core of England's fabric and the can do effervescence of America.

I'm not into burning man at all, don't think I'd ever go, but it's pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things. Was probably better before the influx of influencers and Peter Thiel types with their private compounds. Stuff like that can only last so long.
I think it's partly an aversion to people that we might consider 'annoying' or just aesthetically objectionable - white people with tie-dye clothes, dreadlocks and face-paint is what I'm getting at here, who can be found at any festival of course, but (I suspect) are especially prevalent at BM - and partly the very thing you've just highlighted.

shakahislop

White people with dreads is a pressing issue tbf
they seemed to be effectively banned on the east coast for a while following the appropriation thing. you'd only ever see white dudes with dreads if they were european tourists. me and my friend were texting every time we saw one so we have the data we have done the audit

i've seen a couple of i think american white guys with dreads recently though, maybe its swinging back a bit

shakahislop

The people I'm talking about were American.
yeah. i'm really just jumping off what you said to talk about burning man in general. there is something about the way culture throws up hate figures like this. and how they temporarily become recognised within particular demographics or circles or whatever. burning man attendees. white guys with dreads. single mothers. benefits cheats. yuppies. back in the day i remember people having a problem with 'students'. and so on. the way they direct some kind of vague feeling in a direction.

shakahislop

really the animus i think is: stay off our turf. the rich tech people can't have everything. they can't be cool as well as rich. leave our things alone.

but the reality is that none of these barriers are working and the people with money have already taken everything over

linebaugh

they seemed to be effectively banned on the east coast for a while following the appropriation thing. you'd only ever see white dudes with dreads if they were european tourists. me and my friend were texting every time we saw one so we have the data we have done the audit

i've seen a couple of i think american white guys with dreads recently though, maybe its swinging back a bit
I knew quite a few white guys with dreads in austin texas. Its still very big there

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
really the animus i think is: stay off our turf. the rich tech people can't have everything. they can't be cool as well as rich. leave our things alone.

but the reality is that none of these barriers are working and the people with money have already taken everything over

The internet allowed everybody access to peer into each other's private gardens and take from them whatever they choose. Those with money can afford to play any game/role they want and have all the coolest accoutrements while not taking any of the risks or whatever gave the thing it's spark or edge. 99% of the time it's parasitical culture vulturing and ends up killing whatever it's attached itself to. They'll never actually be cool. Not beyond visually.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The internet allowed everybody access to peer into each other's private gardens and take from them whatever they choose. Those with money can afford to play any game/role they want and have all the coolest accoutrements while not taking any of the risks or whatever gave the thing it's spark or edge. 99% of the time it's parasitical culture vulturing and ends up killing whatever it's attached itself to. They'll never actually be cool. Not beyond visually.
Yeah, I was gonna say, I don't think it's really possible to be both (significantly) rich and cool. Unless perhaps you're cool as an actor, writer, musician or whatever and have made a lot of money from making cultural products that are very popular. And even then, it's probably pretty hard to stay cool once you've hit the big time, and not that many people manage it. David Bowie did, for a long time, but I think there's not that many examples. How 'cool' is Madonna these days, for example?

But if you've made all your money from finance, tech, or anything like that, it's basically pointless even to try in the first place.

200w.gif