Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: We Are All Willing On The Catastrophe

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    Droid where does this toxic nasty quality come from. It's really unpleasant. You're ruining an interesting thread by being a crybaby. Please don't. Just walk away if you find it upsetting.
    You deliberately goad him and then pretend it's not the response you want.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to craner For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HMGovt View Post
    Amen to that. Everywhere you care to look, that's what's happened. Health, agriculture, architecture, education, even militaries are simultaneously hollowed out and geared for profit.
    It's not capitalism that's the problem though. It's rent-seeking, monopolies and globalisation. We're being farmed. Small is beautiful is true, but we've allowed corporations and goverments to grow to a terminal size.
    huh? isn't that inherent to capitalism?

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    huh? isn't that inherent to capitalism?
    No, why would you think that? They are not inevitable end products, they're results of lobbying, legalism and debt.
    And just plain lying. Lying liars lying all the time.
    Last edited by HMGovt; 22-08-2019 at 12:23 PM.

You start a thread, essentially framing your argument with an offensive 'insight' into my character that in my view amounts to a completely unwarranted personal attack.

I ignore this and address the substance of your point..

You double down with the personal attack and amateur psychoanalysis, now adding that any denials just prove your point.

I make it clear in so many words that Im unhappy with this and ask you to stop.

You triple down, claiming again Im just proving your point by disagreeing with this incredible inner truth you've discovered via your unsurpassed psychic abilities.

I point out that this is complete bullshit

You try to wriggle out.

I dont let you wriggle out and again, address the substantive nature of the original post.

You expand your accusations, Im now gleeful and ghoulish in my celebration of things I utterly despise with every fabric of my being.

I tell you to fuck off.

You accuse me of being toxic and unpleasant.

You know I love you luka, but this is some fucked up shit.
    Last edited by droid; 22-08-2019 at 12:35 PM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to droid For This Useful Post:

luka is a CIA psyop
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pattycakes_ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pattycakes_ View Post
    luka is a CIA psyop
    Only possible explanation.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

we've seen this movie before. every few months on dissensus, the needling starts off entertaining then gets extended and and intensified to it's (il)logical conclusion (borderline nastiness), at which point one party says "fuck off" and the other sulks off, feeling temporarily unappreciated before reemerging a few days later on a different thread as if nothing ever happened.

like a kettle that eventually has to blow off some steam.

Quote Originally Posted by craner View Post
    You deliberately goad him and then pretend it's not the response you want.
    Who made you the primary school teacher?

It's not about you droid. You just happen to be the person people here identify the tendency with. I'm saying it's universal. My battery died (im in Devon and I think searching for a signal knackers it out)
    so I had to go back to reading Adorno and the first thing I read is "Psychology knows that he who imagines disasters in some way desires them."
    So this is hardly some outré idea I've dreamed up. As I said in the opening post it's absolutely fundamental to Ballard. Ditto the boredom with surfeit that permeates the west and the corresponding will to madness.

100% not about droid. Sorry I upset you droid forget I put your name in it. Probably that was a bit naughty.

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    so I had to go back to reading Adorno and the first thing I read is "Psychology knows that he who imagines disasters in some way desires them."
    If you're talking about a distant, unlikely and basically theoretical threat, like an asteroid impact or alien invasion, then yeah, maybe.

If you're talking about a disaster that is already happening, and has been for decades, not so much.

A better argument there is that he who sticks his fingers in his ears and goes "La la la I can't hear you" is complicit in allowing it to happen.
    Doin' the Lambeth Warp New: DISSENSUS - THE NOVEL - PM me your email address and I'll add you

I don't think that's the argument he's making there Tea, no.

well what then?

Read the thread. Read some Ballard. Reflect. Think deep and meaningful thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by droid View Post
    Even in the US 72% of the population want action on climate and the environment.
    Didn't a similar percentage of people polled also say that they would be unwilling to change any aspect of their lifestyle to do so though? It might have been a different poll but I remember something coming out that said those two things and just thinking we're doomed.