luka

I do quite like how you are convinced I'm an intellectual though. Literally the only person who has ever accused me of such a thing.

luka

Everyone else thinks I'm some kind of self taught wild man, an idiot savant who should be gently patronised

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Miles Davis Dark Magus is funk though. at least, in the 68-69 sense of the term. what people seem to be objecting to here is more the Roy Ayers kind. i have a soft spot for it but i can see why some people don't like it.

but come on man this is majestic.

I mean, how can you say no? it's basically the deepness of garage 15 years before.

catalog

Nah I don't think so, it's too cheesy. (This is after a cursory listen so if you don't agree, I'll maybe listen to the whole thing). The best death of rave stuff steers well clear of all those cheesy siren and chop sounds, it's all proper drones and field recordings, in my opinion. There's a subtlety going on, which is about what they leave out as much as anything. Don't know about PAN I don't listen to any of that. I just bought crowws 'prosthetics' and the crime unit/service animal split on vinyl and they are both really good.

catalog

Everyone else thinks I'm some kind of self taught wild man, an idiot savant who should be gently patronised

I sort of want you to be an idiot savant but you are really not, you are really well read. You've read all the modernist biggies. You've got a degree by default.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
James Brown already been given a pass on the previous page. This has to be one of his funkiest

Whichever Leon or Hotel lobby is playing this is one I want to be in.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Nah I don't think so, it's too cheesy. (This is after a cursory listen so if you don't agree, I'll maybe listen to the whole thing). The best death of rave stuff steers well clear of all those cheesy siren and chop sounds, it's all proper drones and field recordings, in my opinion. There's a subtlety going on, which is about what they leave out as much as anything. Don't know about PAN I don't listen to any of that. I just bought crowws 'prosthetics' and the crime unit/service animal split on vinyl and they are both really good.

there's not actually cheesy sirens in it. It is just redolent of that.

and death of rave is art school toss for the most part, though i must admit i really like like some of the stuff they put out, that black mecha one and the rian treanor.rave was dead in 1993, hardly a new revelation is it?

try this first:

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
obvs I'm being needlessly kneejerk reductive i'm sure there's some mad pignoleptic shit on DoR but i ain't got the inclanation to find it yet.

catalog

and death of rave is art school toss for the most part, though i must admit i really like like some of the stuff they put out, that black mecha one and the rian treanor.rave was dead in 1993, hardly a new revelation is it?

I mean, I don't think its art school in reality, in the sense that the people running it have probably not been to art school (I might be wrong tho) but I know what you mean. I just got the black mecha new CD and it's really good. Very intense, not an easy listen. He's added some words (samples) now.

The tape of their live set is the best thing, I had it on in the car and my mum was like, what's this, so I told her and she was pretty dumbfounded that i listened to it. 'sounds like a dishwasher' etc (which it does to an extent) .

Yeah I agree wholeheartedly that there is nothing revelatory to this music, and you can pull up plenty of examples from yesteryear, that are musically better/more innovative or groundbreaking or whatever.

I am into it because it's contemporary ie they are bothering to press up vinyl and put it out right now, in 2020. And also it's from near where I live, that's a big factor.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Good word had to look it up, do you mean the virilio word picnoleptic??

I've tried a few times to get into v/VM and caretaker, which is wherei assume the name is from, but struggle with it really

yeah oops typo.

what did you think of the Atomhead?

catalog

I've not listened yet, but scraped thru and it sounded a bit busy. I'll try it in the bath tomorrow and let you know

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I've not listened yet, but scraped thru and it sounded a bit busy. I'll try it in the bath tomorrow and let you know

it's very busy. it's designed to be overwhelming. more overwhelming than the rave, which is really not all that overwhelming in retrospect.