luka

my view is that hip hop and jungle went beyond funk anyway. post-funk. certain electro and techno did aswell. what would be cool is to revive the rhythmic ideas of hardbop rather than exagerrated 80s throwback basslines.

That's more like it!

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Surely this is the nadir of all music, alongside Uptown Funk? Music reduced to a factory line of cliches Which is always going to be awful, but the funk cliches are even worse than for most genres.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
That's more like it!

yeah but the whole funkboy thing in the UK is wiggers basically. when americans talk about a funk feel they mean something slightly different, rather than fat bass or 80s synth basslines they mean something more sexier.

like:

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think it's interesting the way that the enjoyment can just leach out of even the finest things with familiarity and over-indulgence. There's a Buddhist point herein.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
yeah sing it back is still disgusting. it's like people who move out of london because they don't enjoy the thrill of walking down a street going to a dodgy back alley rushing with the adrenaline of maybe being stabbed. like, i'd love to live that hip bourgeois lifestyle, no lie, but only if i can sit in a club with the classiest men and women smoking cigars listening to dizzy gilesspie. given that moloco is just a tawdry inferior version of that what's the point?

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
It reminds me of expensive festivals in Victoria Park, where all the bla... sorry "locals" are excluded. "I love London 'cos of my posh job but mostly I just hang out with the guys from Uni"

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Weird have living in the UK makes you turn everything into a class critique. Poor Moloko.

ah but i'm extolling the virtues of aspirationalism here. just saying if you're gonna aim big aim high. aim for the 1950s paris James Baldwin ideal, not the 1998 pete tong ibiza ideal.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
moloko is like those french girls at uni who exagerrate their francophile accent because it turns on English boys. completely tawdry. not even a cheap romance. I'm south eastern anatolian so it has no effect on me.

luka

I think it's interesting the way that the enjoyment can just leach out of even the finest things with familiarity and over-indulgence. There's a Buddhist point herein.

It also brings into question the notion of inherent quality. It might be better to think in terms of what is needed at any given time.

martin

----
Huh? When did Moloko get saddled with this reputation?

Sounds like you're talking about Broadcast fans. 'Sing It Back' was the song all the drunk girls down Colindale used to dance on the table to during pub lock-ins.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Huh? When did Moloko get saddled with this reputation?

Sounds like you're talking about Broadcast fans. 'Sing It Back' was the song all the drunk girls down Colindale used to dance on the table to during pub lock-ins.

2004. so after your time.