luka

We all cringe when we hear funk now. The jiving brass, the preening bass, the assembly line compartmentalisation. I can't identify the moment it became intolerable, but it's happened. Anything drawing on the legacy of funk is cancelled. Funk is Bruno Mars.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
G-funk isn't cancelled, though. Although making g funk NOW would be cancelled.

Funk is one of those genres I've never taken a crack at. Occasionally a funkadelic song will slip through the net and I'll think I need to listen to some more of that.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I remember when it seemed the most exciting music on the planet.I think it was kinda over-revived, we heard rare groove via a thousand bad student nights and cheap compilations and that just soiled it. I'd class Funkadelic as separate as they never really got brought back in the same way, and their records have enough going on maintain interest.

Thinking about it, I think where funk loses out is the separation of the vocal. So many of the big funk tunes are instrumentals, but the vocals connect with that wider black music legacy - gospel, soul etc.

luka

The student nights and provincial discos really cemented the association with comedy afro wigs, flares and pound shop shades with star shaped frames. Hollywood prone to using the same lazy cheapening set of 70s signifiers.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I'd rather cancel whiteboy disco house but who am i to say. also surely if you cancel funk you cancel breakbeats and jungle? in which case is dissensus gonna become gabbersensus? 🔫 🔫 🔫

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think it's got something to do as well with listening to the music in the UK, third hand as part of a revival. I was listening to a podcast the other day of Ohio Soul (Dogpatch) and it reminded me of listening to rap with a mate from the US - it's like you hear the music in a different context. Americans understand it in a different way. Or American music nerds at least. Maybe it still has crap associations at the student disco level.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
sure, do it. then are you trying to get to jungle through pink floyd?

whats gonna take funk's place? and let's say nothing has to, then what happens after we've canceled it?

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
all we're gonna get is some bong rip stuff about how we are analytical whiteboys who don't understand the masters teachings because we can't afford to fly around the world and take 48 flights a year

just pointless. stagnant.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
my view is that hip hop and jungle went beyond funk anyway. post-funk. certain electro and techno did aswell. what would be cool is to revive the rhythmic ideas of hardbop rather than exagerrated 80s throwback basslines.