Detroit rap/ trap whatever

forclosure

Well since it seems like the buzz for the music is starting to reach some kinda mainstream level lets talk about whats coming out of detroit for the last couple years shall we?

For starters leave Eminem at the door none of this has anything to do with him

but its more about these kinda people

forclosure

I feel like at this point Detroit is the new creative centre of rap these days since Atlanta has run out of steam these days.

I generally like this stuff cause alot of the rappers are raw,its "lyrical" but not in the old east coast mode of things theres a big influence from the bay area just interms of the personality of alot of these guys also alot of em are pretty funny i know we"ve banged on about drill on here but as much as there are some cool playful stuff rappers are doing with flows as much as people in the UK go on about rappers needing "bars" i dont think of drill as a "rappers" genre its too much of a blunt bombastic object for that.

Also the beats sure you can say they sound like 99 Cash Money but like its a sound that isnt concerned with popular trends, its up beat and not as relentlesly dirgy as drill theres defo variety in terms of some of the sounds used also it feels like these dudes remembered that a big part of why collabo tracks work in rap is because guys are acutally in the studio rather than mailing verses in, Detroit isnt a big city like that especially since the East and West sides have buried alot of old beef.

but enough from me come on what do you man think?

DannyL

Wild Horses
Cheers for the links. I don't really have a lot of say about them. Sada Baby is still the best rapper out the lot IMO but it was interesting to note a few of his verbal inflections turning up in AllStar Jr track (i.e "Cancun" - think that was in this track). I didn't dig the "Dark Web" track - I assume dude is deliberately off beat - it sounds sloppy to me and "dark web" is a boring concept for me, though I guess points for going beyond trap cliches. Wish I had more to say!

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Oh, and enjoyed the BandGang track. I liked the fanboy enthusiasm in the comments, picking their faves, shows they must have something going on at a local level.

I guess one slightly critical thinking point I could make is does Sada Baby show a kinda return to rappity rapping? As opposed to the mumble gear? Edit- just read your post re. being lyrical. It's a kinda welcome return for me.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Re. Block Party - one of the things that makes it is that video, it's got an upbeat party vibe as you say. Sada Baby's dancing cracks me up. The vocal interplay is great, the contrast between their vocal textures.

forclosure

I dont know, havent really checked for Sada in a bit but i dunno i like that he can mix it up i think its just because at this point autotune feels really exhausted and folk have hit a wall in terms of what do to with it experimentation/melody wise but theres a number of guest verses with guys like FMB DZ where theyre both rapping their asses off

DannyL

Wild Horses
You heard the tape? "Bartier Bounty" - it's great, I need to revisit. It's just solid great rapping, every track strong. It doesn't put out the boat experimentally but it doesn't feel at all dated.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I suppose a sign of how good that tape is that I didn't get at all bored over 19 tracks or whatever it is, it's a strong indicator.

luka

Haven't heard one single song out of this scene that pays revisting. People wanting it to be good before it gets good. Dead air.

Pearsall

Prodigal Son
this stuff is weird! but weird isn't bad necessarily. I like the Sada Baby, not sure about the others.

Detroit is a pretty interesting place! It has a very interesting history, well worth reading about.

forclosure

ok first off Luke i think your mental for saying none of the music is worth going back to since i had dark web in my head for like 3 days last week

and two as far as the offbeat thing i mean this in all seriousness but its an intentional thing even Big Sean who i dont like flirts with it but it goes back to guys like Pablo Skywalkin and i guess Rocaine where they do this really agressive just outside the pocket of the beat flow thats still really grippin

DannyL

Wild Horses
ok first off Luke i think your mental for saying none of the music is worth going back to since i had dark web in my head for like 3 days last week

Yeah, I've rewound Block Party multiple times and gave the tape quite a few spins. I think he's head of the pack but I'd listen out for other stuff 'cos of that.

luka

Yeah probably but tbh I don't like rap music any more I've turned into kpunk at his most reactionary and crankish.

forclosure

Yeah, I've rewound Block Party multiple times and gave the tape quite a few spins. I think he's head of the pack but I'd listen out for other stuff 'cos of that.

I like Sada but i think Bandgang Lonnie is the guy you need to keep an eye out for his album KOD was really good bit long and stuffed but it hit hard

right now im waiting for Drego & Benos next tape

forclosure

also luke if you dont like rap anymore what do you like then? Ive never read any Fisher but hes become the go to modern philosopher for alot of the doomsayer types these days, Foster Wallace was that guy before i think another one i havent read

luka

luka doesn't listen to music, just flicks through what people post here when his internet is working.

This is true. More generally I'm not invested in any scene. I like going on YouTube and listening to Pakistanis making a racket with big horns and triple flutes and stuff. I like listening to nutters play jazz live. Otherwise I dunno. the fisher comment was just in reference to a thread here he did saying hiphop was cancelled and blaming it for the youth wearing slovenly tracksuits rather than dressing like Marc Bolan.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Finally getting around to listening to some of this stuff and I'm enjoying it. Takes a while to get used to the offbeat flow a lot of these guys have.

Apologies if you've already posted these tracks @WebEschatology