Leo

what music do you put on then leo?

can't recall. it wasn't intentional with a particular type of music, it's just happened by chance with varying types...once even with the radio on, where the music was interspersed with talk.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Stop thinking. That was the game changer for me . Figured it out in my teens. That's what stops you getting to sleep. Just switch it off. It accomplishes nothing. As for not finding booze a problem that's cos you're a horny handed son of toil. Different constitution. Hearty.

I tried this yesterday and it worked! Very hard to stop thinking though. A trick I evolved accidentally was deliberately thinking illogically, jumping from concept to concept, I found this lulled me into that state of drifting off into a dream - it was reverse engineering really, since this is what happens to thought before you sleep anyway. Only an insomniac would notice that, I suppose.

The biggest sleep revelation lately has been not smoking weed. Not only does it help me get to sleep but the sleep I get is better.

I'm one of those people who needs eight hours to feel human. And ironically I'm also terrible at sleeping.

version

I don't dream when I smoke weed. I just go to sleep then wake up and nothing happens in between.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't dream when I smoke weed. I just go to sleep then wake up and nothing happens in between.

That's why it's bad for you. Dreaming is very important.

Even if you hate Rogan, this is a pretty fascinating podcast about sleep.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
That's why it's bad for you. Dreaming is very important.

Even if you hate Rogan, this is a pretty fascinating podcast about sleep.

isn't it the case that people always dream? it's just that some people don't remember it upon waking up? i only remember my dreams when they wake me up in the middle of the night and just rarely in the morning.

by the way, you're posting a lot of joe rogan video's lately, ain't he some sort of alt-right guy?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
REM sleep (when dreams happen) is greatly reduced in people who smoke weed and drink booze. You bypass REM sleep and go straight into deep sleep. I assume you still dream a little bit but certainly not as much. In the podcast Matthew Walker explains that this is why alcoholics have delerium trems when coming off booze - they're dreaming while they're awake because the brain goes into overdrive trying to catch up on the dreaming its been prevented from doing. Which is suggestive of how important dreaming is - it's something to do with repairing the brain. This is presumably why a lack of sleep is linked to alzheimer's in later life.

Re: Rogan: He's had a few of those alt-right figureheads on his podcast. But he also recently had Bernie Sanders and Cornel West on, I would guess in response to being labelled alt-right. As far as Rogan himself goes, he seems to have an obsession with "PC" and cancel culture, perhaps because he's (notionally) a comedian (I say notionally because he's not a funny guy). But I wouldn't say he's particularly right wing. I don't listen to every one of his podcasts, but he has interesting guests on sometimes and it's the only podcast where they'll talk for 2 or 3 hours.

(The other intersection with alt-right is an obsession Rogan's always had with conspiracy theories. He's had Alex Jones on a few times, for example. He's fallen out with Alex Jones a few times and he seems to essentially view AJ as a very entertaining and affable lunatic.)

Last edited:

comelately

Wild Horses
Rogan is likeable, and his podcast can be interesting, but he's had many more than a few alt-right/alt-lite/IDW types on.

He's less the out-and-out grifter that Dave Rubin is, and clearly much more capable of having his own thoughts, but obviously he's built himself a very big audience largely by having these kind of guests on and focusing heavily on points of agreement.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
i'll keep an eye out anyway on you corpse. just to be sure. comedians are mostly a bunch of misogynistic racists and it's better to stay away from them.

anyway. back to sleeping. one other technique that i sometimes apply when i can't sleep is to focus on the visuals that you see when you close your eyes. to be honest, i didn't even know that there was a word for it but i just googled it and they are called phosphenes. i try to make out shapes and forms in the same way you can do looking at the clouds or at rorschach tests. because these visuals are constantly moving, figures and objects are constantly appearing. i think it tires the brain somehow and makes you fall asleep sooner.

Phosphene_artistic_depiction_image_color.jpg.653x0_q80_crop-smart.jpg

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I used to have headphones in with the sound of rain, with a sleeping mask on.

Nowadays I mainly forego the sleeping mask and have ear plugs in instead.

Leo

I once slept through fire engines on the street and TV news helicopters above attending to a blaze in a building about four doors down from me on my block.

yyaldrin

in je ogen waait de wind
an entire generation of kids has been turned into fascists by nihilistic shit humor from programs like south park or comedians like louis c.k.

luka

But not only that, take someone like Dylan Moran. Take the self presentation, untucked shirt, jeans, brown shoes, just an ordinary bloke, a representative of normal people like you. Someone you might meet in the pub enjoying a normal lager and the comedy itself is lowest common denominator pub banter. Fat people, they're just lazy aren't they

Last edited: