Thread: Online Alternatives

Default Online Alternatives

Do you make a conscious effort to avoid using Google, Amazon and the rest or just accept that they're the dominant force at this point and go for convenience?

i tried https://www.startpage.com/ as an alternative for google but i changed back recently, it just doesn't work as good. i use https://www.booklooker.de/ to find books, it searches through a database of online shops, antiquariats and other outlets for new and second hand. i guess https://www.bookfinder.com/ would be the english equivalent, but depressingly enough it's owned by amazon as well.

I use DuckDuckGo but end up being forced to use Google from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by yyaldrin View Post
    i guess https://www.bookfinder.com/ would be the english equivalent, but depressingly enough it's owned by amazon as well.
    They own AbeBooks too. You can't get away from them.

Resistance is futile
    Took a rest stop that wasn't on the schedule

It is. I just buy everything from Amazon. I don't trust anyone else. If it isn't on Amazon then I'm not supposed to have it.

Well, I am still using Firefox. Have been using Linux for a while, but got myself a new Laptop one year or so back and it came with Win10. Am not bothered with changing that.

I dropped Apple products a couple years ago. IMO, Apple today (or since a few years, basically when they declared the I-Phone to be their Alpha + Omega) Apple is a shittier company than Microsoft ever was (regarding "ethics" - of course, it's capitalism where the only profit counts). It's just I don't wanna be ripped off in the end.

I rarely buy books or recorded media anyways much these days, however I (partly) substitute amazon with ebay. I search a certain product on amazon, do the same on ebay and simply buy the cheaper offer. Often, it's being offered even by the same shop (however a bit cheaper on ebay).

I use Firefox too. I like how much you can tweak it, all the privacy add-ons and whatnot and I trust Mozilla slightly more than Google and the others.

Quote Originally Posted by firefinga View Post
    Have been using Linux for a while, but got myself a new Laptop one year or so back and it came with Win10. Am not bothered with changing that.
    Which Linux distribution are you using? I was thinking of making the switch from Windows as they're dropping support for Windows 7 soon and I'm not keen on the direction Microsoft are heading in.

Win7 will be just fine for many years to come

I guess it depends whether you believe them or not regarding the necessity of security updates, patches and so on.

I've got sp1 and that's it. No antivirus installed ever. Just keep backup images of your c drive once a month or whatever if you're really worried. I don't even do that anymore

You use any script blockers or anything online?

Adblock plus or sthn

Quote Originally Posted by version View Post
    Which Linux distribution are you using? I was thinking of making the switch from Windows as they're dropping support for Windows 7 soon and I'm not keen on the direction Microsoft are heading in.
    Ubuntu