Tipping Point

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
just think there are better producers in uk stephen julian/funkineven, k15 etc and then in detroit kyle hall, jay daniel and norm talley

version

vladislav delay for me.

submerged ambient dub. tbf i never really listened to actress. there's that bassline fm track which my mates like and im like ehh.

I didn't actually get round to listening to him until maybe a couple of years ago when someone put me onto Anima.

version

6ix9ine coming out with Gummo. I remember seeing that and asking myself what the fuck was happening, rapper with rainbow hair and grills screaming like a metal singer and getting hundreds of millions of plays out of nowhere.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
i guess you can have some covert indie garage nostalgia from this one from mount kimbie secret fertive home counties girl UCL/royal holloway blowjobs circa 2010. but is the sad drooping melody even worth it until the weak bassline?
the lip curls eeuu yeah those were fun times considering how brexit has made us victorian frigid cunts but they were 4/10 weren't they really. poshos don't make for good sexual repartee. even @kllawthulu and @olivercraner agree!

seriously tho what a stinking shit tune.

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
MOP Ante Up
Chronic 2001

Both took commercial hiphop in a square beat direction. Before that there was usually some swing, some syncopation.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
MOP Ante Up
Chronic 2001

Both took commercial hiphop in a square beat direction. Before that there was usually some swing, some syncopation.

although drum machine syncopation continued well into the late 90s and obviously the early 00s in the south. sorry for coming across as a bit exasperated on the other thread btw.
oh just saw you said chronic 2001. i'm not sure i agree then.

Last edited:

pattycakes_

Can turn naughty
Ante up was square as hell and also brought in that big anthemic vibe which became ubiquitous for a good while

Chronic 2001 was pretty boring to me. The swagger just wasn't there. Also no playfulness. Kinda took itself a bit too serious which in comparison with the original Chronic made for a forgettable listen. It was also touted as the loudest album ever and my music production tutor explained pretty well why this was not a good thing

Not to mention it eminem blowing up at that time. Dark days

Make my shit the G funk any day over all that stuff

Around the millennium we took a nosedive in terms of creativity

forclosure

first time i heard Katy B - On a Mission

when i first heard Young Thug it was like "im not gonna call this groundbreaking but im gonna keep my eye on him cause i aint gonna pass on somebody this weird"

forclosure

i dont feel like people are gonna look back on soundcloud rap fondly yknow theres definitly some nuggets and maybe Die Lit as far as albums go but its gonna be remembered as one of those things that it came out at the same speed it came in and alot of that has kinda to do with how reckless alot of them guys were also at the end of it i think everybody realised that nobody really understands people from Florida outside of other Floridians.

dunno if any of you remember the myspace "scene" era but it was filled with shit like Brokencyde and blood on the dance floor all them kinda trashy obnoxious bands where it was obvious that the lead singers were running off with underage girls,white people talking about poppin a glock in your head big bright coloured hair snake bites and all of that people mixing nu metal with trance and all that shit. Only relic of that era thats still about Jefree Starr and im surprised nobodies caved his face in.

Man was young and deep in his metal phase but seeing that shit happen but that shit taught me a valuable lesson that i can apply to soundcloud rap in that nothing THAT over the top ever lasts really long

bassbeyondreason

Chtonic Fatigue Syndrome
I know I've been beaten to the punch, but "Hyph Mngo" (which I still don't think is a particularly bad tune) was definitely the moment I realised "post-dubstep" wasn't gonna take the weirdo route and everything was going Four Tet.

Leo

the birth of alternative rock, underground becomes the mainstream. the tipping point was nirvana's second album: indie power and attitude polished to radio-friendly levels, suddenly every Seattle grunge outfit gets propelled from Sub Pop to major labels/festival stages.

sonic youth documented it in their "1991, the year punk broke" film.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Hearing Aquemi - I bought it unheard after reading The Source review (5 mikes IIRC) signified something totally new (to me, in the UK) was at work in hip hop - I genuinely couldn't make sense of that record at all, it really did my head in. Didn't really understand it's significance either but I knew it was something different. Arguing with completely sad Nas fans/4 elements purists in my early incursions on messages boards at around the same time kinda showed me old school rap's conservative face.

luka

luka said something a while back about hearing Wiley and Dizzee on radio in the early 2000s and feeling as though some sort of seismic shift had just taken place, the other guys doing the 'garage voice' instantly sounding old hat.

Well that was the dizzee/Asher d clash. The other thing was Riko and Wiley in '99. I just happened to tune in and record which is odd, atemporal vortex, I never listened to drum and bass then, but it was so obviously transitional, so clearly a new generation without any desire to pay lip service to the old rave pieties. It was all criminality, all postcodes, swearing. Totally unprecedented. African Devils and Plaistow soldiers on the live phone in saying suck your mum. Later on hearing pay as u go on radio and thinking what is this noise just pure mcing no breaks no let up.

luka

Hearing Aquemi - I bought it unheard after reading The Source review (5 mikes IIRC) signified something totally new (to me, in the UK) was at work in hip hop - I genuinely couldn't make sense of that record at all, it really did my head in. Didn't really understand it's significance either but I knew it was something different. Arguing with completely sad Nas fans/4 elements purists in my early incursions on messages boards at around the same time kinda showed me old school rap's conservative face.

That album I enjoyed but didn't get future shock off it. Sean Carter 3 I got future shock.