Tipping Point

version

luka said something a while back about hearing Wiley and Dizzee on radio in the early 2000s and feeling as though some sort of seismic shift had just taken place, the other guys doing the 'garage voice' instantly sounding old hat.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
positive developments? can't thhink of any that aren't in my own chronology. acid was a big one for me but it was invented before i was born.

version

I'm more interested in the moments where it felt as though genres peaked/died or suddenly announced themselves to the world at large but personal ones are cool too, opens the thread up a bit.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
bit cheesy now but i remember sitting at my grandads in 2010 dismayed that my cousin was on the way to becoming a brown cop sellout just listening to this on a loop sex moroder pythons as blissblogger put it. even more than steve reich i think this got me into minimalism=maximalism as a principle...

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
said it before but this timbo beat really felt like the start of something when i first heard it on the radio. that start never really materialised - timbo's peak.

version

It's not strictly music but the one-two punch to the 60s delivered by the Manson murders and Altamont seems like one of those moments for those who were there.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Caspa and Rusko's FabricLive seems like the moment for dubstep, although maybe that's only with the benefit of hindsight.

nah. for me it's markomen vs j:kenzo braindrop february 2008. i thought it would get madder and madder from there. it did but not in the direction i wanted it to. that was the peak of wobble. looking back it was over from then onwards (as a scene, not as individual tracks or dj sets) - I blame middle class purists like blackdown who couldn't tolerate sharons n tracy's defiling their sacred warwick university template and hence we had to get nu metal wankers like korn of all people upholding that legacy - that's when it was touch and go for me and when i quickly hurried off (horrified) to jungle, techno and experimental electronics/free jazz, not faffing about with 130 bpm housified malarky.

http://www.braindamageradio.com/dub...rk-omen-and-jkenzo-braindrop-29th-february-08

seriously though what a set. lumpen aphex twin. 🔫 🔫 🔫 them basslines are so twisted and eat yer brain out.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Corpsey's talked about Spongebob being something of a watershed moment in the past.

yeah looking back it actually counter-intuitively felt like the revival of 93 horrorcore. but then you had loefah saying oh we don't like most of that stuff, we only want reinforced, and it's like ok man it's exactly this revisionist attitude that constantly means we can't organically develop.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
I think it was hearing Hazyville that pulled me out of dubstep entirely.

vladislav delay for me.

submerged ambient dub. tbf i never really listened to actress. there's that bassline fm track which my mates like and im like ehh.