Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Who haven't you read?

Quote Originally Posted by luka View Post
    did you ever read mumbo jumbo by ishmael reed? it's the only thing that comes up to me reading those two excerpts.

managed to find two beautiful copies of nova express and the soft machine btw. look at those covers!

William-Burroughs+Nova-Express.jpg

William-Burroughs+Soft-Machine.jpg

Lovely. I've got that edition of nova express too. I own mumbo jumbo but dont think ive read it!

I've read Mumbo Jumbo but I'm confused about what you're comparing it to there.

stylistic it's prose and interpunction for example. as for its content, syndicats, secret groups. but it might indeed be a silly comparison.

It's a reasonable comparison

7. The Following User Says Thank You to yyaldrin For This Useful Post:

No I'm not disagreeing, I just literally didn't know what you were comparing it to - Burroughs?

Interesting quote, who is Charles Chestnut? Showing my ignorance I'm afraid...

Anyone read Tlooth by Harry Matthews, the description makes it sound like Burroughs but I think it's got a different kinda element too

This novel begins in a Russian prison camp at a baseball game featuring the defective Baptists versus the Fideists. There is a plot (of sorts), one of revenge surrounding a doctor who, in removing a bone spur from our narrator, manages to amputate a ring and index finger, a significant surgical error considering that the narrator is, or was, a violinist. When Dr. Roak is released from prison, our narrator escapes in order to begin the pursuit, and thus begins a digressive journey from Afghanistan to Venice, then on to India and Morocco and France. All of this takes place amid Mathews's fictional concern and play with games, puzzles, arcana, and stories within stories.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IdleRich For This Useful Post:

The narrator in Gravity's Rainbow tells you to look into Ishmael Reed:

"Well, and keep in mind where those Masonic Mysteries came from in the first place. (Check out Ishmael Reed. He knows more about it than you will ever find here.)"