Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I know this is old news, but the tag system on here has given me a small taste of what it must be like posting on 4chan. (Only - hopefully - without the racism.)

It's an interesting concept, isn't it? I wonder what discussions on dissensus would be like without stable identities to defend and attack.

Some people argue for identities to be mandatorily displayed online, so that people can't hide hideous opinions behind pseudonyms. Does anonymity, then, necessarily invite savagery? Or is there an upside to it?

luka

Of course there is an upside it allows the bullied to attack the bully. You wouldn't say it to myself? Certainly not you're large and prone to violence. But it's useful to hear nonetheless. This principle applies across the board, everything that cannot be spoken. Good bad ugly.

luka

Here feuds never die they just simmer slowly. You can see the swamp bubbling and belching in the tags. Nursing resentment. No wound ever really heals.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
There's always this thing online of people saying "you wouldn't say that to my face". But often that's exactly what that person SHOULD hear/read.

EDIT: Sorry I just literally repeated what you said lol

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I wish I'd protected my identity more online over the years

Not that I'm running for prime minister but it's easy enough to find out who I am and all that

I was careless

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Scientists have found a tendency for many people to act rudely, aggressively, or illegally when their faces and names are hidden.

More recent studies, however, have identified the positive features of anonymity, including digital interactions that might be overlooked in the midst of the attention that “trolls” and hackers receive. Just like face-to-face gatherings in support groups like Alcoholics Anonymous, the Internet has offered people a chance to self-disclose and offer support without showing their faces or giving out their real names.

Behavioral studies on the role anonymity plays in online interactions have yielded mixed results. Overall, researchers have found that anonymity can reveal personality traits that face-to-face interactions may hide, but that it also allows strong group rules and values to guide individual behavior.

https://www.psychologicalscience.org/observer/who-is-that-the-study-of-anonymity-and-behavior

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I've confused things by talking about two different sorts of anonymity.

I wouldn't say you're anonymous on here - you've disclosed aspects of your personality and life, you have a record of posts we can cross reference, and so on. I feel a level of personal connection with you that would preclude me from insulting you, and so on.

I used to like posting on forums when I'd not gone out of my way to connect with anyone, to share details of my life, etc. Because then you could say anything, you could be mischievous. Unfortunately my lonely confessional needs always took over and I spilled my guts and ID.

Leo

too many egos here to go anonymous, we want to be known and recognized for our deep insights and cutting wit.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I mean I won't insult anyone even if masked by anonymity because

a) it makes me feel bad (because it might hurt their feelings)
b) it makes me feel scared (because they might get revenge on me)

version

Every video on YouTube of people like the Krays and Frankie Fraser has someone saying they were arseholes and someone else responding that they wouldn't say that to their faces as though it's a rebuttal.

luka

Riko said on Twitter no one liked titch he was just a bully and they were all afraid

version

Riko said on Twitter no one liked titch he was just a bully and they were all afraid

Riko Dan
‏Verified account @TheRikoDan

I dont even like Titch. Never have. Most people didnt either. They were just scared of him. Not me ah rasss. Lool.

version

I know this is old news, but the tag system on here has given me a small taste of what it must be like posting on 4chan. (Only - hopefully - without the racism.)

It's much more good-natured on here, imo. As much as people get into spats from time to time and wind each other up in the tags, I'd say it's pretty good as far as the internet goes.