Conor McGregor.

luka

Pride of Ireland. This is a sad story. A very, very sad story. An old story, but brutal all the same. I related to Conor. I look just like him. Runty, ginger bearded stock from the scrubby margins. Like him I've been on top of the world, people screaming my name, telling me I'm a hero, and I've seen those same people turn around and kick me when I'm down. I've also been rag dolled by booze and drugs, though thankfully not by a dagestani wrestler. I've known the magical sync of the world being on your side and the horror of over balancing and falling. I know the giddy exhilaration of rampant exultant ego and I know the stupidities and cruelties it can lead you into. I am Conor McGregor. I hope for all his sins he gets out of this in one piece.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
A lot of online gossip supposedly originating in Dublin whatsapp groups (I know) that he not only is hanging out with notorious Dublin gangsters, doing coke for days on end in crack dens (including while his wife was having a baby) but also viciously raped a girl who humiliated him in front of his mares. He did actually get called in for questioning about a sexual assault, it was in the news although I believe they said "a prominent athlete" or something. I'll try and find the thread.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It's not that sad a story from his pov, he's got like 100 million quid. Although what's interesting about it from a psychological pov is he got what he was working for and it robbed him of his motivation and purpose.

He was a very exciting fighter at his best. I hated his persona, then he grew on me when I thought "oh it's just a persona", but now it seems like it either WASN'T a persona or he got so famous and coke addled that the persona merged with the person.

luka

I don't agree that having £1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 means you can't be tragic. If, as is hardly unfeasible, he is brain damaged as a result of his work for instance. The trajectory of these fighting men is almost always tragic even those who avoid being fleeced out of the money they earn.

luka

If you look at the statistics on lottery winners you can see it clearly is a curse.

version

I don't agree that having £1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 means you can't be tragic. If, as is hardly unfeasible, he is brain damaged as a result of his work for instance. The trajectory of these fighting men is almost always tragic even those who avoid being fleeced out of the money they earn.

CTE seems to cause all sorts of problems.

luka

Watch the video I posted. Compare it to videos of mcgregor in his pomp. The mystic Mac days when he knew, absolutely knew, the universe was on his side.

version

It's hard to take stuff like this at face value as he probably has a team of lawyers and PR people telling him to go out and try to rehabilitate his career.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Plus if you think about how disciplined you have to be to get to that level. Once you retire, you lose all that. The thing that gave you purpose in the first place.

There are fighters who probably took more damage than him who seem to be happy enough and not too brain damaged. Not to say it isn't a possibility but I think he's got substance abuse issues compounding things.

luka

The truth is there in his eyes and in his efforts to articulate himself in his stammering and confusion. You would have to be blind not to see it.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
If you look at the statistics on lottery winners you can see it clearly is a curse.

That's true. It must be even more mindfucking when you go from 0 to 100 million IN A SINGLE NIGHT. You don't expect it, you didn't earn it. Totally unfeasible.

luka

The truth is there in his eyes and in his efforts to articulate himself in his stammering and confusion. You would have to be blind not to see it.

That's the pain and confusion of someone who has been forsaken by God. And they know they deserved it. That the errors were all their own. I have been in this position. I know what's it's like to lose favour in the eyes of the people upstairs.

version

Aaron Hernandez, the NFL player who murdered someone and later killed himself, apparently had a level of brain damage that had never been seen in someone under the age of 47 and he was 27 when he died. The head injuries people are picking up from contact sports are ridiculous.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I remember reading that Chris Benoit had the brain of an Alzheimer's riddled pensioner when they evaluated it after he went crazy and murdered his whole family. Took full on steel chair head shots his whole career.

version

There was a guy called Lennie Kirk who used to skate for Alien Workshop in the 90s who smashed his head and went completely nuts. Apparently he became a religious fanatic and started robbing people at gunpoint and all sorts, carried a bible with him and became a sort of street preacher.

droid

There was a documentary on RTE about him when he first shot up. Bit of a dickhead, but he seemed sound enough, grounded, still going to the gym in Crumlin, sticking with his local girlfriend... shot at his folks house in Crumlin, could've been any family home from where I grew up in Finglas.

And then, cocaine, booze, money. An old story.